1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernolli's Equation: vb^2-va^2 = ?

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    Bernolli's Equation: vb^2-va^2 = ?????

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

Use Bernoulli’s principle to obtain a relation between the speeds of water at points A and B, vA and vB, in terms of the acceleration of gravity g and the height of the water column h. Your expression should be of the form: vb^2-va^2 =
    Let’s do a numerical check that your equation is correct. If the height of the water level is h = 27 cm, what is the value of vb^2-va^2, in SI units?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no idea where to start, to me, the question doesn't seem really obvious. I just need this last problem solved to be permitted in to lab on Monday morning. Please help me in any way, thank you so much!
    This is what I have as bernolli's equation in my notes, but how do I use any of this to solve for vb^2-va^2????
    P1+1/2pv1^2+pgy = P2+1/2pv2^2+pgy
    I know P=pressure
    p=density
    y= height
    Please please please help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    Re: Bernolli's Equation: vb^2-va^2 = ?????

You don't know the algebraic manipulations required to move all terms with a "v" in it to one side, and all the terms without "v" in it to the other? Also, some context (read: a picture) of the problem would be appreciated.

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3

Assume P1 = P2, and let va = v1 and vb=v2. Incidentally, the y's on the two sides of the equation should have subscripts.

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4

Thank you Chestermiller, I feel really stupid that I can't do simple algebra.
    I think based on P1=P2 you could just take that out of the equation.
    To move pgy you would subtract from both sides so you'd be left with:
    1/2pva^2 = 1/2pvb^2
    How would I get va^2 to the right side of the equation. Wouldn't I have to move it by dividing both side by it? So I wouldn't be left with vb^2 - va^2 but instead vb^2/va^2.
    What am I doing wrong?

6. Nov 4, 2012 #5

Your starting equation should be

P1+1/2pv1^2+pgy1 = P2+1/2pv2^2+pgy2

As I said in my previous response, there should be subscripts on the two y's,

and y2 - y2 should be called h.

7. Nov 4, 2012 #6

Okay, so should P1 and P2 be taken out of the equation if they equal eachother?
    If so, you'd be left with 1/2pv1^2+pgy1 = 1/2pv2^2+pgy2
    So, to get the v2^2-v1^2 = ???? as the question asks; how do I get everything else to one side? The farthest I get to is:
    pgy1-pgy2 = 1/2pv2^2 - 1/2pv1^2
    to simplify wouldn't it be:
    y1-y2 = 1/2pv2^2 - 1/2pv1^2
    Which would lead to:
    (y1-y2)/(1/2p * -1/2p) = v2^2-v1^2
    Is that correct?

8. Nov 4, 2012 #7

No. Your algebra is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook