Bernolli's Equation: vb^2-va^2 = ?

• Thread starter bcalkins
  • Start date
In summary: Starting from the equation I gave you, you should be able to get to:v2^2-v1^2=2g(y1-y2)In summary, Bernoulli's equation can be used to obtain a relation between the speeds of water at points A and B, vA and vB, in terms of the acceleration of gravity g and the height of the water column h. The expression is given by vb^2-va^2 = 2g(y1-y2). In order to solve for vb^2-va^2, one must use algebraic manipulations to move all terms with a "v" to one side and all terms without a "v" to the other.
bcalkins
Bernolli's Equation: vb^2-va^2 = ?

1. Homework Statement :

Use Bernoulli’s principle to obtain a relation between the speeds of water at points A and B, vA and vB, in terms of the acceleration of gravity g and the height of the water column h. Your expression should be of the form: vb^2-va^2 =
Let’s do a numerical check that your equation is correct. If the height of the water level is h = 27 cm, what is the value of vb^2-va^2, in SI units?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I really have no idea where to start, to me, the question doesn't seem really obvious. I just need this last problem solved to be permitted into lab on Monday morning. Please help me in any way, thank you so much!
This is what I have as bernolli's equation in my notes, but how do I use any of this to solve for vb^2-va^2?
P1+1/2pv1^2+pgy = P2+1/2pv2^2+pgy
I know P=pressure
p=density
y= height
Please please please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

You don't know the algebraic manipulations required to move all terms with a "v" in it to one side, and all the terms without "v" in it to the other? Also, some context (read: a picture) of the problem would be appreciated.

Assume P1 = P2, and let va = v1 and vb=v2. Incidentally, the y's on the two sides of the equation should have subscripts.

Thank you Chestermiller, I feel really stupid that I can't do simple algebra.
I think based on P1=P2 you could just take that out of the equation.
To move pgy you would subtract from both sides so you'd be left with:
1/2pva^2 = 1/2pvb^2
How would I get va^2 to the right side of the equation. Wouldn't I have to move it by dividing both side by it? So I wouldn't be left with vb^2 - va^2 but instead vb^2/va^2.
What am I doing wrong?

bcalkins said:
Thank you Chestermiller, I feel really stupid that I can't do simple algebra.
I think based on P1=P2 you could just take that out of the equation.
To move pgy you would subtract from both sides so you'd be left with:
1/2pva^2 = 1/2pvb^2
How would I get va^2 to the right side of the equation. Wouldn't I have to move it by dividing both side by it? So I wouldn't be left with vb^2 - va^2 but instead vb^2/va^2.
What am I doing wrong?

Your starting equation should be

P1+1/2pv1^2+pgy1 = P2+1/2pv2^2+pgy2

As I said in my previous response, there should be subscripts on the two y's,

and y2 - y2 should be called h.

Okay, so should P1 and P2 be taken out of the equation if they equal each other?
If so, you'd be left with 1/2pv1^2+pgy1 = 1/2pv2^2+pgy2
So, to get the v2^2-v1^2 = ? as the question asks; how do I get everything else to one side? The farthest I get to is:
pgy1-pgy2 = 1/2pv2^2 - 1/2pv1^2
to simplify wouldn't it be:
y1-y2 = 1/2pv2^2 - 1/2pv1^2
Which would lead to:
(y1-y2)/(1/2p * -1/2p) = v2^2-v1^2
Is that correct?

bcalkins said:
Okay, so should P1 and P2 be taken out of the equation if they equal each other?
If so, you'd be left with 1/2pv1^2+pgy1 = 1/2pv2^2+pgy2
So, to get the v2^2-v1^2 = ? as the question asks; how do I get everything else to one side? The farthest I get to is:
pgy1-pgy2 = 1/2pv2^2 - 1/2pv1^2
to simplify wouldn't it be:
y1-y2 = 1/2pv2^2 - 1/2pv1^2
Which would lead to:
(y1-y2)/(1/2p * -1/2p) = v2^2-v1^2
Is that correct?

No. Your algebra is wrong.

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in motion. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of a fluid is constant along a streamline.

2. What is the significance of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids in motion, such as air and water. It is used in many applications, such as designing airplane wings and calculating the flow of water through pipes.

3. How is Bernoulli's Equation derived?

Bernoulli's Equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle applied to a fluid in motion. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and flows along a streamline.

4. What are the conditions required for Bernoulli's Equation to be applicable?

Bernoulli's Equation is applicable only when the fluid is in steady flow, meaning that the velocity and pressure do not change with time. It also assumes that the fluid is non-viscous and incompressible, and that there are no external forces acting on the fluid.

5. How can Bernoulli's Equation be used in real-life situations?

Bernoulli's Equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of airplanes, cars, and boats. It is also used in calculating the flow of fluids through pipes, nozzles, and pumps. Additionally, it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in weather patterns, such as air flow and wind speed.