1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Va-Vb and the magnitude/direction of Ea-Eb

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Point "a" is "Y" meters south of a -Q C Point Charge and point "b" is "X" meters east of the charge.
    1. Determine Va-Vb
    2.Determine the magnitude of Ea-Eb
    3.Determine the direction of Ea-Eb

My problem with solving this question is that it is purely conceptual. If there were values given than the equation that I know would be of use and I would be able to solve it. Any help as to how to answer this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. Relevant equations
    Va-Vb=-∫E dl
    E=kQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't really know how to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

tms

If you can solve the problem with numbers, you should be able to solve it without numbers. In fact, you should always solve problems symbolically, and only plug in the numbers as the very last step. Obviously, for this problem, a numerical answer is not expected.

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    Yes thats what I figured. I just thought I ought to be sure that solving it symbolically didn't take me down some other path. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook