Determine Va-Vb and the magnitude/direction of Ea-Eb

  • Thread starter Thread starter StudentofSci
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
StudentofSci
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Point "a" is "Y" meters south of a -Q C Point Charge and point "b" is "X" meters east of the charge.
1. Determine Va-Vb
2.Determine the magnitude of Ea-Eb
3.Determine the direction of Ea-Eb

My problem with solving this question is that it is purely conceptual. If there were values given than the equation that I know would be of use and I would be able to solve it. Any help as to how to answer this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Homework Equations


Va-Vb=-∫E dl
E=kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution


Don't really know how to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can solve the problem with numbers, you should be able to solve it without numbers. In fact, you should always solve problems symbolically, and only plug in the numbers as the very last step. Obviously, for this problem, a numerical answer is not expected.
 
Yes that's what I figured. I just thought I ought to be sure that solving it symbolically didn't take me down some other path. Thank you