Determine Va-Vb and the magnitude/direction of Ea-Eb

• Thread starter StudentofSci
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to determine the potential difference between two points, Va-Vb, the magnitude of the electric field difference between the two points, Ea-Eb, and the direction of the electric field difference. The equations used are Va-Vb=-∫E dl and E=kQ/r^2. It is important to solve problems symbolically and only use numerical values as the last step. The given information does not provide numerical values, so the problem should be solved symbolically.
StudentofSci

Homework Statement

Point "a" is "Y" meters south of a -Q C Point Charge and point "b" is "X" meters east of the charge.
1. Determine Va-Vb
2.Determine the magnitude of Ea-Eb
3.Determine the direction of Ea-Eb

My problem with solving this question is that it is purely conceptual. If there were values given than the equation that I know would be of use and I would be able to solve it. Any help as to how to answer this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Homework Equations

Va-Vb=-∫E dl
E=kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't really know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can solve the problem with numbers, you should be able to solve it without numbers. In fact, you should always solve problems symbolically, and only plug in the numbers as the very last step. Obviously, for this problem, a numerical answer is not expected.

Yes that's what I figured. I just thought I ought to be sure that solving it symbolically didn't take me down some other path. Thank you

Related to Determine Va-Vb and the magnitude/direction of Ea-Eb

What is Va-Vb?

Va-Vb is the difference in voltage between two points, specifically point a and point b. It is calculated by subtracting the voltage at point b from the voltage at point a.

What is the significance of determining Va-Vb?

Determining Va-Vb allows us to understand the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. This can help us analyze the flow of electricity and identify any potential issues or inefficiencies.

How do you calculate Va-Vb?

To calculate Va-Vb, you simply subtract the voltage at point b from the voltage at point a. This can be done using a voltmeter or by using Ohm's law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance.

What is Ea-Eb?

Ea-Eb is the difference in potential energy between two points, specifically point a and point b. It is calculated by subtracting the potential energy at point b from the potential energy at point a.

How is Ea-Eb related to Va-Vb?

Ea-Eb and Va-Vb are related in that they both measure the difference between two points in a circuit. However, Ea-Eb takes into account the potential energy, while Va-Vb only considers the voltage. This means that Ea-Eb may provide a more comprehensive understanding of the circuit's energy distribution.