1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's Equation and fire hose

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    A fire hose must be able to shoot water to the top of a building 35.0 m tall when aimed straight up. Water enters this hose at a steady rate of 0.500 m3/s and shoots out of a round nozzle.

i) What is the maximum diameter this nozzle can have?

ii) If the only nozzle available has a diameter twice as great, what is the highest point the water can reach?

I know that Flow rate=0.500 m3/s=A*V. I know the pressure needed to obtain this height from P=35*9.8*1000=3.43X10^5 Pa.

I know I should be applying Bernoulli's equation but I'm stuck. Any pointers are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2
    I just had an idea.

P+1/2PV^2+Pgh=pgh+1/2pv^2+P

We can cross out both p's since they're both exposed to atmosphere. The first equation has no potential while the second has no kinetic.

1/2pv^2=pgh

v=root(2g(35m))
    v=26.2 m/s

0.5=26.2*Pi(r^2)

Calculate for r then times by two for maximum diameter. Then just recalculate using the previous equation with 2r.

Looks good?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook