Bessel function, Generating function

In summary, the generating function for Bessel function is defined as G(x,t)=e^{\frac{x}{2}(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)t^n. This is a Laurent series when expanded around t = 0, but a more relevant approach is to look at f(r,φ) = G(r,e^{iφ}) (where |t| = 1), which solves the eigenvalue equation (Δ^2 + 1) f(r,φ) = 0. This can be shown by expanding Δ^2 e^{r(e^{iφ}- e^{-iφ})/2} and using the
LagrangeEuler
Generating function for Bessel function is defined by

[tex]G(x,t)=e^{\frac{x}{2}(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)t^n[/tex]
Why here we have Laurent series, even in case when functions are of real variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is only a Laurent series if you look at it as an expansion around ##t = 0##, at which the function is clearly singular for all ##x \neq 0##. The more relevant point is to look at ##f(r,\varphi) = G(r,e^{i\varphi})## (i.e., ##|t| = 1##), which solves the eigenvalue equation ##(\nabla^2 + 1) f(r,\varphi) = 0##, where ##\nabla^2## is the Laplace operator written in polar coordinates. You will find that
$$
\nabla^2 e^{r(e^{i\varphi}- e^{-i\varphi})/2} = \nabla^2 e^{r\sin(\varphi)} = e^{r\sin(\varphi)}.
$$
Correspondingly, you will find that
$$
(\nabla^2 + 1) f(r,\varphi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{in\varphi} \left( \frac{1}{r} \partial_r r \partial_r J_n(r) + \left(1 - \frac{n^2}{r^2}\right) J_n(r)\right) = 0.
$$
Since each ##e^{in\varphi}## is linearly independent, this can only be satisfied if
$$
\frac{1}{r} \partial_r r \partial_r J_n(r) + \left(1 - \frac{n^2}{r^2}\right) J_n(r) = 0,
$$
which is Bessel's differential equation.

It is only a Laurent series if you look at it as an expansion around ##t = 0##, at which the function is clearly singular for all ##x \neq 0##. The more relevant point is to look at ##f(r,\varphi) = G(r,e^{i\varphi})## (i.e., ##|t| = 1##), which solves the eigenvalue equation ##(\nabla^2 + 1) f(r,\varphi) = 0##, where ##\nabla^2## is the Laplace operator written in polar coordinates. You will find that
$$
\nabla^2 e^{r(e^{i\varphi}- e^{-i\varphi})/2} = \nabla^2 e^{r\sin(\varphi)} = e^{r\sin(\varphi)}.
$$
Correspondingly, you will find that
$$
(\nabla^2 + 1) f(r,\varphi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{in\varphi} \left( \frac{1}{r} \partial_r r \partial_r J_n(r) + \left(1 - \frac{n^2}{r^2}\right) J_n(r)\right) = 0.
$$
Since each ##e^{in\varphi}## is linearly independent, this can only be satisfied if
$$
\frac{1}{r} \partial_r r \partial_r J_n(r) + \left(1 - \frac{n^2}{r^2}\right) J_n(r) = 0,
$$
which is Bessel's differential equation.

What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a type of special function that arises in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in problems involving wave phenomena and circular symmetry.

What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical tool used to represent a sequence of numbers or functions as a single function, allowing for easier manipulation and analysis.

What is the significance of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have many applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in solving differential equations, which arise in many real-world problems.

How are Bessel functions related to generating functions?

Bessel functions can be expressed as generating functions, allowing for the manipulation and analysis of these functions using generating function techniques.

What are some common examples of Bessel functions?

Some common examples of Bessel functions include the spherical Bessel functions, cylindrical Bessel functions, and modified Bessel functions. These functions often arise in problems involving circular or spherical symmetry.