Integration of Bessel's functions

Summary:
For implementing a mode-matching technique in EM simulation, I want to get a closed-form equation of the integral of [tex]\int_{0}^{r}\frac{1}{\rho} J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex].
I can only find a solution to [tex] \int_{0}^{r} \rho J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex] with the Lommel's integral . The closed form solution to [tex] \int_{0}^{r}\frac{1}{\rho} J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex] I am not able to find anywhere. Is there any way in which I can approach this problem from scratch? Here, [tex] J_m [/tex] is the Bessel function of the first kind of order m.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

It looks to me like you could use a recurrence relation (see this link) once or twice and arrive at a sum of integrals in the form you know.

It looks to me like you could use a recurrence relation (see this link) once or twice and arrive at a sum of integrals in the form you know.
Perfect. Thanks! I decomposed my problem and I got the form of Lommel's integrals for all my problems. I verified with numerical solutions for my EM problems and the Lommel's integrals work like magic.

Likes vanhees71 and Haborix
Good to hear! Special functions, when they are useful, always seemed like magic (rigorous magic) to me.