Integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a solution to the integral involving Bessel functions with different orders. The speaker mentions using Lommel's integrals for cases where the orders are the same, but for different orders, only hypergeometric functions are obtained. They were able to find a solution for the case where the orders are equal, but not for any other arbitrary case.
tworitdash
TL;DR Summary
For implementing a mode-matching technique in EM simulation, I want to get a closed-form equation of the integral of [tex] \int_{0}^{r} \frac{1}{\rho} J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex]
I can only find a solution to [tex] \int_{0}^{r} \frac{1}{\rho} J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex]
with the Lommel's integral . On my last thread (here), I got an idea about how to execute this when [tex] m = n[/tex] (Bessel functions with the same order) using Lommel's integrals (Using some properties of Bessel functions.). However, all that I get with the problem having Bessel's functions with different orders is some hyper-geometric functions. Is there any other way to solve it when [tex] m != n[/tex]Here, [tex] J_m [/tex] is the Bessel function of the first kind of order m.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with hypergeometric functions?

phyzguy said:
What's wrong with hypergeometric functions?
Well, I just realized I got a hypergeometric function when the orders are of the form m - 1 and m + 1. For any other arbitrary case, I haven't seen any solution with hypergeometric functions.

I was able to find a solution when a=b, otherwise no.

1. What is the definition of the integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders?

The integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under the curve formed by the product of two Bessel functions with different orders.

2. What is the significance of the integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders in science?

The integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations and modeling physical systems.

3. How is the integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders calculated?

The integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders can be calculated using various methods, such as numerical integration or analytical techniques like integration by parts. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the functions and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are some real-life applications of the integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders?

The integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders has many practical applications, including signal processing, image reconstruction, and heat transfer analysis. It is also used in the study of wave phenomena, such as sound and electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders?

Like any mathematical tool, the integral of 2 Bessel functions of different orders has its limitations and assumptions. It may not always provide an exact solution, and certain conditions must be met for it to be applicable. Additionally, the functions used in the integral must be well-behaved and continuous for the results to be accurate.