Bessel's Differential equation

In summary, the problem involves determining the temperature inside a solid ball at 30 degrees C with a radius of 1, placed in a refrigerator that maintains a constant temperature of 0 degrees C. The solution involves using the partial differential heat equation in spherical coordinates and setting all partials of the function u to 0. The equation can then be separated into R(r) and T(t), with T(t)=exp(mu*t). However, the equation for R becomes a Bessel equation with a coefficient of mu*r^2, which may require series methods to solve. The Helmholtz equation may also be useful in solving this equation.
Fisherman87

Homework Statement

A solid ball at 30 degrees C with radius a=1 is placed in a refrigerator that maintains a constant temperature of 0 degrees C. Take c (speed)=1 and determine the temperature u(r,theta,phi,t) inside the ball

Homework Equations

partial differential heat equation in spherical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, I started out with setting all the partials of the function u (assuming u is the solution) with respect to theta and phi as 0 since the temperature is uniform and doesn't depend on either. I then set u(r,t)=R(r)T(t), and then plugged back into the partial equation in order to separate variables, and I got T(t)=exp(mu*t). However, R turns into a bessel equation that I can't figure out how to solve, with the coefficient of R double prime equal to r^2, the coefficient of R prime being 2r, and the coefficient of R being mu. Mu is the separation constant. The book is generally unhelpful. Can anyone tell me how to solve that equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fisherman87 said:

Homework Statement

A solid ball at 30 degrees C with radius a=1 is placed in a refrigerator that maintains a constant temperature of 0 degrees C. Take c (speed)=1 and determine the temperature u(r,theta,phi,t) inside the ball

Homework Equations

partial differential heat equation in spherical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, I started out with setting all the partials of the function u (assuming u is the solution) with respect to theta and phi as 0 since the temperature is uniform and doesn't depend on either. I then set u(r,t)=R(r)T(t), and then plugged back into the partial equation in order to separate variables, and I got T(t)=exp(mu*t). However, R turns into a bessel equation that I can't figure out how to solve, with the coefficient of R double prime equal to r^2, the coefficient of R prime being 2r, and the coefficient of R being mu. Mu is the separation constant. The book is generally unhelpful. Can anyone tell me how to solve that equation?

The Bessel's equation is solved with series methods. You can read about how to do it here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahhwi/MATH7402/handout9.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should've been more descriptive. I have all that information already (even though this is for spherical coordinates and not polar). The equation I got for the last term multiplied by R is mu*r^2. This is why I'm having trouble, since it doesn't really agree completely with the normal bessel equation, and I don't understand how the helmholtz equation is related to this equation, and why I should use it.

What is Bessel's Differential equation?

Bessel's Differential equation is a mathematical equation that is used to describe oscillatory systems, such as waves or vibrations. It was first introduced by the mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century and was later studied extensively by Friedrich Bessel in the 19th century.

What is the significance of Bessel's Differential equation in science?

Bessel's Differential equation is a fundamental tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and applied mathematics. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic waves.

What are the solutions to Bessel's Differential equation?

The solutions to Bessel's Differential equation are known as Bessel functions. These functions have many important properties and are widely used in various mathematical applications. The solutions can be expressed as infinite series or as integrals, and they have different forms depending on the type of Bessel equation being solved.

What is the physical interpretation of Bessel's Differential equation?

Bessel's Differential equation has a physical interpretation as the mathematical description of oscillatory systems. For example, the equation can be used to model the vibrations of a drumhead or the electromagnetic waves in a cylindrical waveguide. It also has applications in areas such as acoustics, optics, and signal processing.

What are the real-life applications of Bessel's Differential equation?

Bessel's Differential equation has many real-life applications, including in the design of antennas, the analysis of sound and vibrations in musical instruments, and the study of heat transfer in cylindrical objects. It is also used in image processing and pattern recognition, as well as in solving problems related to fluid flow and wave propagation.