1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bessel's Differential equation

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solid ball at 30 degrees C with radius a=1 is placed in a refrigerator that maintains a constant temperature of 0 degrees C. Take c (speed)=1 and determine the temperature u(r,theta,phi,t) inside the ball

2. Relevant equations

partial differential heat equation in spherical coordinates

3. The attempt at a solution

In this case, I started out with setting all the partials of the function u (assuming u is the solution) with respect to theta and phi as 0 since the temperature is uniform and doesn't depend on either. I then set u(r,t)=R(r)T(t), and then plugged back into the partial equation in order to separate variables, and I got T(t)=exp(mu*t). However, R turns into a bessel equation that I can't figure out how to solve, with the coefficient of R double prime equal to r^2, the coefficient of R prime being 2r, and the coefficient of R being mu. Mu is the separation constant. The book is generally unhelpful. Can anyone tell me how to solve that equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Bessel's equation is solved with series methods. You can read about how to do it here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahhwi/MATH7402/handout9.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    I guess I should've been more descriptive. I have all that information already (even though this is for spherical coordinates and not polar). The equation I got for the last term multiplied by R is mu*r^2. This is why I'm having trouble, since it doesn't really agree completely with the normal bessel equation, and I don't understand how the helmholtz equation is related to this equation, and why I should use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook