Best anode materials for water-based hydrogen generator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in building an electrolysis-based hydrogen generator or water oxygenator/aerator. They consider using various types of electrodes, including platinum titanium, graphite, MMO, and sacrificial non-toxic metal electrodes. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using a dual-purpose device for hydroponics. The conversation also covers the cost and availability of different types of electrodes and suggests conducting experiments or ordering from online sources. The topic of PEM membranes is briefly mentioned, along with the speaker's desire to find pure iron for their project.
sauroman1
I want also to build electrolysis based hydrogen generator or and water oxygenator/aerator. It's simple electrolysis device but requires special electrodes that are corrosion resistant or at least safe for human consumption. I seen that hydrogen bottles use platinum titanium electrodes. Platinum and gold have excellent resistance to corrosion but they are expensive. In this video I found good guide to electrolysis electrodes: https://www.youtube...h?v=Enf76lBNUIY

Graphite is cheap although also tends to break down, discolor water and has low conductivity (graphene?). Other alternative is MMO electrode which is harder to find and expensive. Also I have considered sacrificial non toxic metal electrodes for example iron or pure magnesium rod since these minerals are even beneficial.
There are cheap 16mm 99.99% magnesium rods on Ebay but since there are many scammers I might get instead magnesium rod with aluminum or other toxic metals. Any way to test purity?
Titanium without platinum might be also good option but I'm not sure, titanium dioxide is anyway used in food as white pigment.

Corrosion resistant anode would be better since I also have idea of building dual purpose device which could be used for aeration of roots in hydroponics like here:

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the plates are just plated with the expensive material, then the cost is not so bad.

Well there are titanium platinum anodes on Ebay but can't sure they fake, without platinum coating. Platinum is even more expensive than gold so price supposed to be high. What would using just pure titanium anode?

Platinum plating is 0.5 up to 5 microns thick.
Therefore you need 0.0005 cm3 of platinum per 1 cm2 of anode surface area.
The density of platinum is about 21 g/cm3.
So you need 0.0105 g of platinum, or 0.0004 ounces per cm2.
The cost of platinum or gold (in round numbers) is $1000/ounce.
Therefore a 1cm2 anode needs 4 to 40 cents worth of platinum, depending on the thickness.

If you google platinum plating you can find numerous ways and places that do it as a service.

I'm sure your electrodes will cost more than $0.40 each to make. But the cost of the plating material should not be the dominant cost.

Thanks. For comprehensiveanswer :) Is gold as as platinum coating? I actually do happen to have old CPU that has like 2x2cm gold coated sufrace. I want to try magnesium rod 99.99% as anode but there is no way to know if there isn't alluminum without special test.

sauroman1 said:
I want also to build electrolysis based hydrogen generator or and water oxygenator/aerator.

It's time for you to get serious. What are the required properties of your electrodes to make an effective electrolysis generator? If you don't know the requirements, all metals are candidates. What does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water tell you? Is it just the surface, or the whole mass of the electrode that matters?

If you don't know how to specify the requirements, then it is time for some experiments. Many of us did electrolysis in the high school lab as an experiment. You could do that, and you could test several metals as the electrodes.

Ok, looks like I'll just have to order from Ebay platinum coated titanium anode for versatile use and test it's quality. Don't want to do trial and error experiments which could cause poisoning.

Does anybody know how to make or where to get PEM membrane used to separate hydrogen and oxygen?

Google is your friend. I quickly found PEM membrane on EBAY, Amazon, and Alibaba.

Please do your own research before posting questions here.

Today almost anything can be bought online but PEM come at high cost. Maybe some batteries use them or other devices?
I also think maybe to try using iron anode after all since I need it anyway as supplement. Any ideas where to find pure iron or at least without nasty chromium 6 or other toxic metals?

The OP question has been adequately answered. Now, the questions are begging to ramble.

Thread closed.

1. What are anode materials and why are they important for water-based hydrogen generators?

Anode materials are the positively charged electrodes used in water-based hydrogen generators. They play a crucial role in the electrolysis process by providing a site for the oxidation reaction to occur. This reaction is responsible for splitting water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas, which can then be collected as fuel. Therefore, the choice of anode material is important to ensure efficient and safe hydrogen production.

2. What are the most commonly used anode materials for water-based hydrogen generators?

The most commonly used anode materials for water-based hydrogen generators are platinum, nickel, and stainless steel. Platinum is often considered the best choice due to its high conductivity and resistance to corrosion. Nickel is also a popular choice as it is more affordable than platinum and has good conductivity. Stainless steel is a cheaper alternative, but it may not be as efficient or durable as platinum or nickel.

3. Are there any new or alternative anode materials being researched for water-based hydrogen generators?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to find new or alternative anode materials for water-based hydrogen generators. Some promising materials include titanium, iridium, and carbon-based materials such as graphene and carbon nanotubes. These materials have shown potential for improved efficiency, durability, and cost-effectiveness in hydrogen production.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing the best anode material for a water-based hydrogen generator?

When choosing an anode material for a water-based hydrogen generator, several factors should be considered. These include the material's conductivity, resistance to corrosion, durability, cost, and its compatibility with the electrolyte solution. It is also essential to consider the specific requirements and conditions of the hydrogen production process to determine the most suitable anode material.

5. How can the performance and lifespan of anode materials for water-based hydrogen generators be improved?

Several measures can be taken to improve the performance and lifespan of anode materials for water-based hydrogen generators. These include optimizing the design and construction of the anode, such as increasing its surface area and ensuring proper sealing and insulation. Additionally, using coatings or alloys with the anode material can enhance its corrosion resistance. Ongoing research and development efforts are also focused on finding new materials and techniques to improve anode performance and longevity.