1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best astrophysics book for starters?

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone

I'm attending first year of the danish Gymnasium and do feel seriously mathematically impaired, however i find especially astrophysics very interesting, and would like to know something about it.
    It should be said that my mathematical ability is absolutly stretched at the otherwise simple 'y=ax+b'. So i will need some mathematical skill also, i just thought i might aswell take the more interesting approach of astrophysics and learn what mathematics i need, as i discover stuff i dont understand.

Anyway, i've been looking at Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' as it looks like a good
    book for starters. I'm also thinking of buying Mike Inglis' 'Astrophysics is easy'.

Do you have any idea as to which books i should read first?. As is probably understood by the thread, i need to start from scratch on this :).

Thanks for listening!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    The Elegant Universe is a great book, I suggest that you read it if you're interested in String Theory and Astrophysics. It gives you a background of what your going to get yourself into.

Brian Greene's book is very easy to comprehend, hence I suggest you read it first.

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Hi Gufberg:smile:,
    just go to the following link in search type "Elegant universe",the book is very interesting
    http://www.freebookspot.in/

All the Best,
    phyixlover

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4
    Thank you for advice !

6. Jun 21, 2010 #5
    I'm an astrophysics student, for beginners I think Carrol-Ostlie's "An Introduction to modern astrophysics" is the best.
    You can find it in .djvu if you search on the net.
    Greetings!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook