1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best books for undergraduate physics

1. Sep 10, 2017 #1
    I'm starting an undergraduate degree in physics on Friday (after a gap year and with a foundation year). What are the best books for undergraduate physics please (we don't have a reading list for first year) :)

And what are some general physics books I might be interested in (I recently bought an audiobook called 'Astrophysics for people on a hurry' by Niel de Grasse Tyson) and I like any books by Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalilli, and Richard Feynman. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good standard book is Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick. And for a physics major, I guess that Feynman's Lectures on Physics is something that you should at least be aware of. There is a free copy on-line at http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

4. Sep 11, 2017 #3
    I have been using Feynman's Lectures, yes :)

5. Sep 11, 2017 #4
    Similar to the Halliday, Resnick, and Walker books, the Serway and Jewett Physics for Scientists and Engineers is good as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted