1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best book for classical mechanics

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    Guys can u suggest me some excellent books for Classical Mechanics?
    Thank u in advance :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Uh, your question is a bit vague. What level of classical mechanics are you looking to learn?

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    yeah.. sorry
    I am looking for a book of university level... Can u suggest some?

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This is still vague to me. Do you mean first year mechanics?

6. Apr 20, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Did you ever take a university course on physics before?

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6
    Start with Kleppnar Mechanics (Newtonian) book if you already done the Introductory Physics.

8. Apr 20, 2013 #7
    I have done the introductory physics and i just want some advanced level... And i cant tell u more in detail...

9. Apr 20, 2013 #8
    Thank you Natassha
    I will try that...

10. Apr 20, 2013 #9
    I have done my Engineering but didnt graduate in physics. So my answer is No.
    Can u suggest some at that level?

11. Apr 20, 2013 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Advanced is a very relative term. For example one of the other posters suggested Kleppner. This is my most favorite book on mechanics but it is advanced in the sense that the problems can be quite difficult not in the sense that it covers advanced material (except the section on general rigid body motion). If you want a book that for example covers coupled oscillators, non-linear motion and chaos, lagrangian / hamiltonian mechanics, impulse response for e.g. mass-spring systems, and rigid body motion then take a look at Taylor "Classical Mechanics".

12. Apr 20, 2013 #11
    U got it right.. I want advanced material especially on lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics. So I will check Taylor's Classical mechanics. Thank u... :smile:

13. Apr 20, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Ok, if you are exclusively interested in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, then I would more strongly recommend you take a look at Calkin "Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics". He has a nice chapter on the virtual work principle (now if only I can figure out how to use virtual work in General Relativity :wink:)

14. Apr 20, 2013 #13
    I find lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics difficult. So do u recommend that book considering i just started to learn it?

15. Apr 20, 2013 #14

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Ah no I would say you should go with Taylor first in that case. Look at the material on Lagrangians and Hamtilonians in Taylor's book first. Taylor is meant as a second year mechanics text for physics students and from what I've seen Calkin is usually used after a second year mechanics class.

16. Apr 20, 2013 #15
    Ohh... Ok then i will read Taylor first.

17. Apr 20, 2013 #16

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Good luck and have fun! Taylor is a super awesome text. If you've ever used Griffiths' electrodynamics text, the conversational tone in Taylor's text will be very familiar (I love the conversational texts).

18. Apr 20, 2013 #17
    Thanks... I love Griffiths Electrodynamics book. Someone suggested it to me and i find it really good. Hope Taylor feels the same way. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted