What Should I learn before reading this book on Classical Mechanics?

In summary, the book Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstein is a graduate-level textbook that covers advanced calculus and vector analysis. There are a lot of things about transformation matrices and tensors that would require review for someone who is taking this course for the first time.
velo city
I am about to read the book Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstein. The prerequisites that it says in the book are advanced calculus and vector analysis. Would that mean multivariable calculus? Also there are a lot of things about transformation matrices and tensors. Would I need to review linear algebra for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually a physics student has Calculus 1,2,3, linear algebra and differential equations under their belt before they tackle this book. There was a couple of kids in my class from NYC who had this book in high school which means they must have had at least Calculus to handle it.

There a light weight version you could consider before getting into Goldsteins book, namely the Susskind Classical Mechanics book which covers the same things in a more minimal fashion with less math.

Note that Goldstein is usually considered to be a graduate-school level textbook. Have you already studied classical mechanics at the intermediate/advanced undergraduate level, e.g. Symon or Marion or Fowles/Cassiday?

velo city said:
I am about to read the book Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstein. The prerequisites that it says in the book are advanced calculus and vector analysis. Would that mean multivariable calculus? Also there are a lot of things about transformation matrices and tensors. Would I need to review linear algebra for this?

I assume you've had basic mechanics before like K&K and Fowles&Cassiday and such? And Calc 1-2 and Linear Algebra in years past then?

velo city said:
I am about to read the book Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstein.

Is there a particular reason you need to start with Goldstein? Otherwise, I'd suggest a more introductory book like Fowles.

Goldstein is like the MTW for GR. Like an encyclopedia, or a <phone book>. I would suggest Kleppner + Kolenkow and then the 'cut to the chase' approach by Landau & Lifschitz. If you like maths, don't stop after L&L, go forward to V. Arnold. ;)

Likes Kashmir
For mathematics, you should feel extremely comfortable with general multi-variable calculus, linear ordinary differential equations, linear partial differential equations, and (ideally) have at least a passing familiarity with basic linear algebra and basic complex analysis. For physics, you should have a term or two of "senior-level" classical mechanics. For example, my institution's senior CM course covered "all" of Fowles/Cassiday in a term.

Beyond that, a term or two of EM theory would also be extremely helpful (say at the level of Griffiths' electrodynamics). The more physics you know, the easier it is to learn new physics, especially at the level presented by the Goldstein book.

I've heard it said before that if you want to understand mechanics, first you learn math, then you read Goldstein, then you read L&L. And like someone said above, you could also move onto Arnold afterward if you're a masochist.

FAQ: What Should I learn before reading this book on Classical Mechanics?

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as everyday objects and astronomical bodies, under the influence of forces.

2. Do I need a strong background in physics to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of physics concepts and principles is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand this book. The book will cover the necessary concepts and equations in detail.

3. What mathematical skills do I need to have before reading this book?

A strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is important for understanding the mathematical principles and equations used in Classical Mechanics. It is also helpful to have some experience with solving physics problems.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

This book assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It is recommended to have completed high school level courses in physics and mathematics before attempting to read this book.

5. How can I prepare myself to get the most out of this book?

Before reading this book, it is helpful to review basic physics concepts and mathematical skills. You can also familiarize yourself with the terminology and equations used in Classical Mechanics by doing some preliminary reading or watching online lectures.