Undergrad book on Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a first year physics student's desire to self-study classical mechanics before it is covered in class. They ask for recommendations for a basic undergrad level book that covers topics such as Newton's law and solving equations of motion in various coordinates. The suggested textbooks include Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, Kleppner & Kolenkow, and Mechanics by Kittel, Knight, and Ruderman. The student is advised to check their university or local library to determine which book is well-explained and to also consider their school's recommended textbook for intro classical mechanics.
isher_mondal
Hi there,
I am an undergrad 1st year student in Physics. I wanted to self study the classical mechanics so that i can get hold of some very important concepts before it begins to rush in our class. Can you suggest me a basic Classical Mechanics book of undergrad level that will help to learn about Newton's law, solve the equations of motions for 2D, 3D, spherical and polar coordinates for various systems...and all the topics covered in first year of undergrad physics course?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the usual textbook used by 1st year physics undergrads is Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick.
Also, you might want to check your university's library, or any local library, skim through some books and determine which you think is good/well explained and rent/buy it.

And you can't go wrong with Kleppner & Kolenkow either.

Likes FreeRoger
I very readable book is "Mechanics" by Kittel, Knight, and Ruderman.

What book does your school use in the intro classical mechanics for physics majors ?

PeroK said:
And you can't go wrong with Kleppner & Kolenkow either.

I think it's chapter on relativity is awful, but the rest is quite good.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as particles, bodies, and systems, under the influence of forces.

2. Why is classical mechanics important?

Classical mechanics is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the physical world and forms the basis for many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and astronomy.

3. What topics are covered in an undergrad book on classical mechanics?

An undergrad book on classical mechanics typically covers topics such as kinematics, forces, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations. It may also include discussions on the laws of motion, conservation principles, and the application of calculus to solve problems.

4. Is prior knowledge of physics required to understand classical mechanics?

While some basic knowledge of physics is helpful, an undergrad book on classical mechanics is designed to be accessible to students with no prior background in the subject. It typically starts with the fundamentals and builds upon them, making it suitable for beginners.

5. How can I apply classical mechanics in real life?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as understanding the motion of objects, designing structures, and predicting the behavior of machines. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the behavior of fluids.