1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best book for SR self-study

1. Dec 26, 2014 #1
    So I'm taking AP-C: E&M for my last high school semester and wanted to take some time to read up with a rigorous special relativity book. I've already taken the equivalent of Calculus 1-3 at a university level and I've read Kleppner and Kolenkow's Mechanics book up to the chapters on Special Relativity and Relativistic Dynamics. So hit be up with your recommendations.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2014 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have the first edition of K&K (blue), or the second (red)? Both give out-of-date presentations of SR, but the first edition's is particularly hoary.

Morin, Introduction to classical mechanics, is sort of the modern K&K, and it has a very nice treatment of SR, including an appendix that develops the Lorentz transformation from symmetry principles rather than Einstein's 1905 postulates.

If you want more depth than K&K or Morin, a possibility would be my own SR book, http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ , which is intended for an upper-division course.

4. Dec 26, 2014 #3
    Ha, wasn't expecting to get someone who's actually written a book. I'll check out your stuff.

I own the 2013 version of K&K btw.

5. Dec 26, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are lots of threads like this, so you should check out a few of them. My standard recommendation is that you start with chapters 1-2 of "A first course in general relativity" by Schutz. Another book that gets a lot of recommendations is "Spacetime physics" by Taylor & Wheeler. The most comprehensive introduction in a modern style is "Special Relativity in general frames" by Gourgoulhon.

I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't checked out bcrowell's book, but I know that his forum posts are good, so I don't doubt that the book is good too.

6. Dec 26, 2014 #5
    I figured, but I'm on my tablet and the App isn't being responsive when I search. Figured one more thread to add to the mix wouldn't hurt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted