1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best book on relativity for newbie ?

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    basically im looking for the book that einstein wrote himself 'relativity: general and special'

but there are soo many versions/editions of it, can u recommend me a specific one?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Why would you want to read something that's 100 years old?

4. Aug 4, 2013 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question in the title is very different from the question in the post.

I usually recommend the GR book by Schutz for its material on SR. It's also not a bad place to start learning about GR, but if you really want to learn GR, you will eventually have to study a text that doesn't try to hide the differential geometry (e.g. Wald), and you will also have to study differential geometry. I like the books by Lee for that. Unfortunately, Lee requires you to know a substantial amount of topology.

There are some books on SR that are supposed to require even less mathematical knowledge and maturity from its readers. The one that gets the most recommendations is Taylor & Wheeler.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. Aug 4, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Nostalgia? :biggrin:

6. Aug 4, 2013 #5
    For SR I would recommend It's About Time by N. David Mermin.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Aug 9, 2013 #7
    The Geometry of Special Relativity. I forget the author. It's very new.

9. Aug 9, 2013 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Probably, Tevian Dray (http://people.oregonstate.edu/~drayt/ ).
    There is also a new book on GR and on Differential Forms.

10. Aug 9, 2013 #9
    You wouldn't want a newbie to confuse this with the book by Naber (Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime). That would be a shock.

Looks like it's not out yet:

https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Forms-Geometry-General-Relativity/dp/146651000

Looking for that I found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Matrix-Form-Derivation-Relativity/dp/3642357970/

A more recent GR book that takes a "Physics first" approach similar to Hartle is the one by Ta-Pei Cheng.

https://www.amazon.com/Relativity-Gravitation-Cosmology-Introduction-Physics/dp/0199573646/

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Aug 10, 2013 #10
    I bought "Relativity Demystified" which promises to lay down the basics of GR, or at least the math you use in it. It's not explicitly a differential geometry book, but I haven't read it yet. Too busy studying for the PGRE. :(

12. Aug 13, 2013 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  13. Aug 14, 2013 #12
    The book reads like a set of notes. There are many better books.

14. Aug 28, 2013 #13
    For special relativity I like "Introduction to SR" by Wolfgang Rindler (Oxford Science)... uses the signature like particle physicists I fear but it explains things well... as for GR there are a lot of good books... Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry" is a good book, also Wald's "Genrel Relativity" but it is advanced, or Weinberg's "Gravitation and Cosmology", even if it is quite old... it is good for GR but it is not so updated as for the Cosmology part... lot of others I don't know, they tell me Padmanabhan's "Gravitation" is also good, as it has also a small part about quantum fields in curved spacetime and gravity in higher and lower dimensions and as an emergent phenomenon

15. Aug 29, 2013 #14

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Padmanabhan's book has a nice concept, but it's full of typos. I'd not recommend it for the beginner!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted