1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Schools

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    I'm curious about what people consider is the best ChemE school. What schools do employers like to see applicants come from? This list excludes MIT, Cal Tech and other premier schools that are already rather obvious.

Thanks for all suggestions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2
    Try doing a search at US News and World Report
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4
  6. Nov 13, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Well, I did my undergrad in Civil Engineering at another university. Currently, I am doing my grad studies there at the Civil Eng Department. The university so far is great. Lots of smart people and well prepared faculty. They are nice and willing to help you learn.

The Chemical Engineering department at UMN is well known. You should definitely check it out.
  7. Nov 13, 2008 #6
    Thanks! I'll take a look at their website.
  8. Nov 14, 2008 #7
    The University of Akron.
    It's a small school, it's worth checking out.
    It's currently the school I'm attending for Chem.E. and they're proficient and are ranked as high as well as higher than some schools such as MIT, polymers being one of such the cases of where they are ranked either 1st or 2nd.
  9. Nov 15, 2008 #8
    Yup, UA is pretty strong in research. I think it's polymer eng. is 2nd in the nation. Definitely worth a look!
  10. Nov 16, 2008 #9
    Michigan Tech has a good Chem Eng program. It works very closely with a lot of chemical companies so you get real world experience too.
  11. Nov 16, 2008 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When my sister was looking at schools for ChemE, one of the better was the University of Virginia.
  12. Mar 3, 2009 #11
    Has anyone ever heard of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? Or California Polytechnic, Pomona? Do they have good ChemE programs?
  13. Mar 3, 2009 #12
    Most "rankings" put UMNs Chem Eng program in the top 5 (I've seen it listed as high as 1 in some rankings). Thus, I would classify UMN as more of a premier school rather than a "good, but not top 10 school".

My brother, who got his Masters in Chemical Engineering from Purdue (and is now working towards his PhD), claims that UMN is definitely top 3.
  14. Mar 3, 2009 #13

Homework Helper

Yeah, I know of RPI. In fact, I applied to RPI for my grad studies. I got accepted, but I decided to go UMN.

Both UMN and RPI are good schools.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?