What are the best chemical options for cleaning oil field water injection lines?

In summary, Brian is working to clean water injection lines that have been restricted due to hydrocarbons. He tests different options and eventually chooses dilute phosphoric acid and sulfuric acid, but recommends sodium silicate as a corrosion inhibitor.
bpownall
I was hoping some chemical engineers with experience couuld offer assistance on a question about scale/schmoo. I am working in a oil field to determine the best recipie to clean our main water injection lines which have been restricted over the years. A chemical analysis on the stuff shows that it is:

Hydrocarbons: 10%
Soluble salts: 1.40%
Calcium carbonates: .84%
Iron compounds 65.08%
Acid insolubles: 22.91%

Iron compounds were iron sulfide and iron oxide. I am getting a second test done to confirm the findings.

What are some options to clean this line? I would appreciate a variety of chemical options/procedures that I can test by flushing. My project is to focus on creating the best "recipie" to clean our lines. More options to test, the better.

Thank you for your help, I do not have much experience yet and am a first year engineer.

-Brian

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are your water injection lines made of steel (iron)? If so, removal of the scale could change the orifice size or even perforate the components. If the products were oxides, I would use acidic oxalic acid... don't acidify with HCl, but use straight oxalic acid. This is (or was) the active ingredient in Prestone's radiator flush years ago. Alternatively, you could use dilute phosphoric acid... the active ingredient in Naval Jelly.

Yes the lines are made of steel. If acid was used, an acid inhibitor would be included so that it would not eat at the pipe. Why do you suggest the other types of acid? Also what is generally the cheapest acid?

Brian

Sulfuric is the cheapest but phosphoric is the best. I'm not sure that sulfuric acid would work quickly. Oxalic acid is probably the mildest but the most expensive.

Sulfuric is cheaper than hydrochloric? And any reason for using a milder acid?

Thanks again

The reason for using milder acids is to prevent the acid from dissolving the steel lines. You should know that chloride ion catalyzes the corrosion of steel... even stainless. Use it once and kiss your lines goodbye.

So to review, sulfuric acid is the cheapest but with my chemical analysis you do not know if it would react at all? And for this analysis, what are your personal two best options?

Phosphoric is the best followed by oxalic. When you eventually clean the lines, you will find that the wall thickness of the lines is now thinner. You might expect leaks.

After cleaning I would treat the lines with a dilute solution of sodium silicate (type T or N).

Corrosion Inhibition
Sodium silicate can be used as a corrosion inhibitor in potable and industrial water. Sodium silicate inhibits corrosion by forming a protective film on metal surfaces that isolates the metal from further corrosive attack. Because soluble silicates are alkaline, moreover, they bring the further benefit of increasing the pH of water. Sodium silicate can be used to inhibit corrosion of cast iron pipes, service lines, and fixtures—

http://www.pqcorp.com/common/contactus.asp?Contact_Us=ICTS" for details concerning your application.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is scale chemistry analysis?

Scale chemistry analysis is the process of studying the chemical composition and characteristics of scale, which is a hard deposit that forms on surfaces in contact with water. This analysis is important for understanding the potential for scale formation and its impact on industrial processes.

2. What are the methods used for scale chemistry analysis?

The most common methods used for scale chemistry analysis include X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. These methods allow for the identification of the minerals and compounds present in the scale and their relative concentrations.

3. What factors influence scale formation?

Several factors can influence scale formation, including water chemistry, temperature, pressure, flow rate, and surface material. Different types of scales can form depending on the specific combination of these factors, making scale chemistry analysis essential for understanding and preventing scale buildup.

4. How is scale chemistry analysis used in industrial processes?

Scale chemistry analysis is used in industrial processes to identify and monitor potential scale-forming conditions, to determine the type and amount of scale present, and to develop effective mitigation strategies. This analysis is particularly important in industries such as oil and gas, water treatment, and power generation, where scale buildup can have significant economic and safety implications.

5. What are the benefits of scale chemistry analysis?

Scale chemistry analysis provides valuable information for understanding and managing scale formation, including identifying the source of the scale, predicting its potential impact, and determining the most effective methods for prevention and removal. This can help industries optimize their processes, reduce maintenance costs, and extend the lifespan of equipment.