Best help for Physics: Mechanics and Heat students

In summary, the best help for students studying physics, specifically mechanics and heat, includes seeking out online resources and practice problems, attending review sessions and office hours, and actively participating in class. It is also important to develop a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and to consistently practice problem-solving techniques. Seeking help from peers and forming study groups can also be beneficial. Additionally, utilizing online simulations and interactive demonstrations can aid in understanding complex concepts. Overall, the key to success in physics is to actively engage with the material and seek out additional resources and support when needed.
asimon2008
I am a freshman student in college taking Physics: Mechanics and Heat. I wanted to know what websites are good(breaks it down really easy to understand physics and what ebooks are there for students. I have one book that I am going to read called Physics for Dummies. The book I am using for class is The Fundamentals of Physics 8th Edition by David Halliday. This is all the help I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Walter Lewin's lectures are terrific!
They're pretty much the reason why I like Physics!

Well, when I was studying these subjects I used Tipler in the beginning. I think he does a good job introducing the basics, and it has the answers for 50% of the problems. However, it's expensive (at least in my country). I've heard good things about Halliday, but I've never read/used it.

If you plan to know more mechanics than just the enough, Tipler isn't very good (notice there's a difference between an easy book and a "shallow" book). Tipler is too shallow. You can very well start with it, but if you want more challenge and depth, you need to read other authors (It's what I did). It's not a defect of Tipler, simply put, the goal of the book isn't very deep.

Tipler covers simple thermodynamics too. But if you're actually interested in heat transfer or somewhat more complicated thermodynamics, ask me and I will put links for resources which were released for free acess over the internet by its authors.

By the way, here's a link to MIT's OCW. It has the same videos that there are on youtube that tatiana has posted, but contains more materials (tests and assignments with answers). They were very helpful for me:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/CourseHome/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Walter Lewin was pretty much my inspiration to study physics as well! I was going to post that link, but I had visited it the other day and it said that the videos were "removed by author." Just checked now and they are up and running! Thank gosh.

1. What are some helpful study tips for Physics: Mechanics and Heat?

Some helpful study tips for Physics: Mechanics and Heat include practicing problem-solving regularly, using diagrams and visual aids to understand concepts, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and actively engaging with the material through note-taking and asking questions.

2. How can I improve my understanding of difficult concepts in Physics: Mechanics and Heat?

To improve your understanding of difficult concepts in Physics: Mechanics and Heat, it is important to break down the concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try explaining the concept to someone else, as teaching can help solidify your understanding. Additionally, using real-life examples or analogies can make the concepts easier to grasp.

3. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with studying Physics: Mechanics and Heat?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can help with studying Physics: Mechanics and Heat. Some examples include interactive simulations, video tutorials, and practice problems with step-by-step solutions. You can also find study guides and review materials on various websites and educational platforms.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Physics: Mechanics and Heat?

Some common misconceptions about Physics: Mechanics and Heat include thinking that everything moves at a constant speed, that all forces are visible, and that objects at rest have no forces acting on them. It is important to address these misconceptions and have a solid understanding of the basic principles before moving on to more complex topics.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of Physics: Mechanics and Heat in real-life situations?

Physics: Mechanics and Heat principles can be applied to many real-life situations, such as understanding the mechanics of a car or bicycle, designing structures that can withstand certain forces, and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. By understanding these concepts, you can have a better understanding of the world around you and make informed decisions in various situations.