Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best learning material for intro to Linear Algebra?

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    I'd post in the learning materials section but I am unable to do so there for some reason.

Which of these is the best to learn from?

https://www.google.com/search?q=int...3&espv=210&q=intro+linear+algebra+pdf&spell=1

I searched google for "intro linear algebra pdf" and came up with a number of results. However, I can't tell which one is the best to learn from so help would be appreciated.

I don't have a textbook to study from.

This one from UC Davis seems quite nice since it even has video links.
    https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~linear/linear.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3
    Specifically, I am most interested in books involving applied Linear Algebra since I am an engineering student.

jedishrfu, I have looked into the Khan Academy videos you showed me and they seem quite good. However, I would also like a physical text as well.

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4

Mark44

Moved thread...

6. Dec 10, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Dec 13, 2013 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. May 15, 2014 #7
  9. May 22, 2014 #8
    This open course discusses topics on matrix theory and linear algebra, including systems of equations, vector spaces, determinants, eigenvalues, similarity, and positive definite matrices. I think this is very helpful for those who want to learn linear algebra independently since it provides a complete set of lecture videos, summary notes, problem solving videos, and a full set of exams and solutions.
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06sc-linear-algebra-fall-2011/

10. Jul 31, 2014 #9
    Yes, All sources which are shared here useful to know about Linear Algebra very easily. I think this helpful not only for me, also for my students as well. good job done by all.

11. Aug 6, 2014 #10

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I'm doing a self study/tutorial of linear algebra this coming fall at my community college. I'm using the MIT OCW course that's linked a couple posts back, along with Gilbert Strang's 'Introduction to Linear Algebra' text. I've started on it already, and it seems to be a really good text so far. The lectures and assorted material contained in the OCW course are great so far as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook