Best Lectures to Self-Teach Calculus?

In summary, Dale Swanson recommends starting with Khan Academy and then moving on to other online lectures if you want to learn more about calculus. Patrick Jones recommends using the Calculus Revisited series from MIT if you want the best learning experience.
Nano-Passion
Should I just stick with the usual MIT calculus lecture? Or move on to something else?

I'm aware that there are a lot of different people giving lectures online so I am lost on this one. Recommendations appreciated. =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just start watching some and see which ones you like the best. Personally, I like Khan Academy a lot. Don't be adverse to watching multiple different ones too. I think it's good to get important concepts explained by different people.

I agree with DaleSwanson that you should just start watching some and see where that takes you. I also think that a good book for your purposes is Serge Lang's Short Calculus. The explanations in that book are clear.

Thanks Dale, I'll use a combination of Khan Academy and MIT lectures along with reading my textbooks and doing practice problems.

I really liked spivak's calculus, as far as textbooks go. Depends on what math you already know, though.

But I guess it's really a matter of opinion, for the lectures too. I learn better from reading, in general, so I usually read the book an if I come across something I can't get on my own, i start looking for an online lecture.

The MIT lectures have been a great help, but half the time I have to pause the video and go look up (sometimes even watch a whole other lecture on) something that the professor says, because they've already covered that at some point in the curriculum and only mention it briefly. Not that this is always a bad thing, though.

So sometimes the MIT lectures can be a headache to get through. I don't know what level the 18.01 MIT lectures are at, but if you decide to use those it may help to use the same book as them:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070576424/?tag=pfamazon01-20
There's used copies for $60 on there, or I'm sure it's at the local library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should also mention this website has been more useful than any online lectures :) Next best thing to office hours

Patrick Jones too! He tackles on specific examples

OK. Skip most of the MIT OCW, and instead look for their Calculus Revisited series. It is hands down the best calculus material i have ever seen. Also, get the class lecture notes for it and maybe a few other books and throw in a bit of khan academy and your off to a good start.

EDIT: here is a link for calculus revisited part 2 on a website made in memory of the lecturer.
http://www.adjectivenounmath.com/id93.html

1. What are the benefits of self-teaching calculus through lectures?

Self-teaching calculus through lectures allows for a more personalized learning experience as you can pause, rewind, and rewatch the lectures at your own pace. It also allows for flexibility in terms of scheduling and can be more cost-effective than traditional classroom instruction.

2. How can I find the best lectures to self-teach calculus?

There are many online platforms that offer calculus lectures, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. It is important to read reviews and choose a platform that fits your learning style and level of understanding.

3. Is self-teaching calculus through lectures as effective as classroom instruction?

It depends on the individual's learning style and dedication to the material. Self-teaching through lectures can be just as effective as classroom instruction if the student is motivated and actively engages with the material.

4. How long does it take to self-teach calculus through lectures?

The amount of time it takes to self-teach calculus through lectures depends on the individual's prior knowledge and dedication to the material. It can range from a few weeks to several months.

5. Are there any resources to supplement the lectures?

Yes, many online platforms offer additional resources such as practice problems, quizzes, and interactive simulations to supplement the lectures. It is also helpful to have a textbook or other reference materials for further practice and clarification.