Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Mash-up, "hard" SciFi and Fantasy?

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    Suggestions, please. The subject may be broad, so don't be afraid to put something out for us to consider.

(I'm asking because I haven't really been in the genre in the past few decades.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean "hard" and by mash-up, you mean crossover?

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    "The Martian" counts as "hard scifi" for me, wile LOTR is "pure fantasy.) (This may be an artifact from the '70s. (I remember that decade only vaguely.))

mash-up
    1. a mixture or fusion of disparate elements.
    Thus we might have a space-faring race encountering a species of alien who apparently can do magic.

5. Apr 22, 2016 #4
    Okay, I see people may be having a hard time with this, so I'll pop out one or a few that are current.

Star Wars, a blend of spaceships and mystical forces.

Dune. Same again. Or is it?

6. Apr 22, 2016 #5

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

But neither of those are "hard" sci-fi. Hard science fiction attempts to keep its science close to known science. Fantasy, by it's very definition, is the exploration of the fantastic.

7. Apr 22, 2016 #6
    In order for both to be in a book each has to give way to some extent. The starships in Star Wars are based on science. The force is based on ... something else. Dune gets fuzzy with the precognition and, perhaps, the bending of space.

8. Apr 22, 2016 #7
    Interstellar was very scientifically accurate. They took into account the relativistic effects near a black hole and used a wormhole to travel through space instead of somehow traveling faster than c like they did in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and many other science fiction movies. I would strongly recommend it.

9. Apr 22, 2016 #8

Ryan_m_b

But the starships in Star Wars are not hard science. They have visible laser weapons, FTL engines, force fields, artificial gravity etcetera. None of that fits within the hard SciFi genre.

10. Apr 22, 2016 #9
    As I said, mash-up have to compromise. I'm not looking for a perfect meld of the two genres, I don't know that such is possible.

11. Apr 22, 2016 #10

Ryan_m_b

I can't think how it would even be possible, unless something started out as hard SF and switched to fantasy or if it was seemingly a fantasy setting but the magic was an artifact of hard-SF technology. The genres are very different, contradictory even.

12. Apr 22, 2016 #11
    The movies and/or books I mentioned don't fit the bill for you?

13. Apr 22, 2016 #12
    I have a perfect set of books for you.
    Try reading the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

Starts out as hard(ish) Sci Fi (they do have jump drives though but at least everything is self consistent)
    and then
    Part way through the first book people start getting possessed by the dead. The possessed have the ability to change what people see and shoot lightning bolts and such.

14. Apr 22, 2016 #13

Ryan_m_b

No...because they aren't hard science fiction.

15. Apr 22, 2016 #14
    Seems we're getting stuck on definitions. So, "anything close to a mashup of hard science fiction and fantasy" you can recommend?

16. Apr 22, 2016 #15
    Maybe these?
    A Game of Universe - Eric Nylund
    Bio of a Space Tyrant - Piers Anthony

17. Apr 22, 2016 #16
    I'll look into them. I like Anthony, most of the time.

18. Apr 22, 2016 #17

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not change the question? Why not ask for everybody’s ideal SciFi/fantasy crossover? Perhaps disregard the definitions of “hard” and accurate science fiction. Like, what two characters from two different stories would you like to see meet?

19. Apr 22, 2016 #18
    I have no problem with that. Thanks for the suggestion.

20. Apr 23, 2016 #19
    I'm particularly fond of how they handled wormhole travel in Babylon 5, where they used what might be a communal wormhole, or perhaps and alternate universe, to fulfill their FTL needs.

The inevitable dilemma with hard-science stories that allow for FTL (and for this post FTL stands for any scheme used to get from here to Alpha Centuri in the next few days instead of the next few centuries) is that any society that has FTL is going to have a take on physics and technology that will make some, if not most, hard science fiction ideas and tropes mute. In such a place at least some of our ideas on physics will be seriously modified or discredited. The interesting trick to me would be figuring out which ideas have been discredited and what they have been replaced with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted