Best Materials for Microwave Heating (No Metal)

• Thread starter granttsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the best materials to use in a microwave for conducting heat are water, oil, and solid Pyrex glassware. Other solid options could include materials that contain water, such as fruits or vegetables, or solid Pyrex glassware. Metal is not an option for conducting heat in a microwave.
granttsmith
I'm trying to make something weird for a side project and I need some information from a physics person...what material, be it glass, plastic, some sort of alloy, etc... would conduct heat best in a microwave? Remember metal is not an option.

Physics news on Phys.org
granttsmith said:
I'm trying to make something weird for a side project and I need some information from a physics person...what material, be it glass, plastic, some sort of alloy, etc... would conduct heat best in a microwave? Remember metal is not an option.

Well, water or oil are good ones. But you're probably looking for something solid?

DaveC426913 said:
Well, water or oil are good ones. But you're probably looking for something solid?

Yes, Solid indeed.

something that has water in it

I should have clarified...I need a solid specifically.

Yeah pyrex glass conducts well

Related to Best Materials for Microwave Heating (No Metal)

1. What are the best materials for microwave heating that do not contain metal?

The best materials for microwave heating that do not contain metal are ceramics, glass, and certain types of plastics. These materials are considered "microwave safe" and will not react negatively to the microwave's electromagnetic radiation.

2. Can I use any type of plastic in the microwave?

No, not all types of plastic are safe to use in the microwave. Only plastics that are labeled as "microwave safe" or have a microwave-safe symbol can be used. This includes polypropylene, polyethylene, and certain types of polyester.

3. Why is it dangerous to put metal in the microwave?

Metal in the microwave can cause sparks and potentially start a fire. This is because the microwave's electromagnetic waves interact with the metal, causing it to heat up and potentially create an electrical discharge. It is important to never put metal in the microwave.

4. Are there any materials that are safe to use in the microwave that are not commonly known?

Yes, there are some materials that are safe to use in the microwave that are not as well-known. These include paper products such as paper towels, parchment paper, and wax paper, as well as microwave-safe silicon and some types of wood.

5. Can I use aluminum foil in the microwave?

No, aluminum foil should not be used in the microwave. It can cause sparks and potentially damage the microwave. If you need to cover food while microwaving, use a microwave-safe lid or cover made of glass or plastic instead.