Best minor for downstream petroleum engineering at Drexel University

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Nichalas Perrone
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am currently a Sophomore, studying chemical engineering at Drexel University. After college, I want to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry. However, I am unsure of what minor would help me get closer to reaching my goal. I have heard business and mathematics minors are great when paired with an engineering degree, but feel like geology relates more to the petroleum industry. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nichalas Perrone said:
I am currently a Sophomore, studying chemical engineering at Drexel University. After college, I want to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry. However, I am unsure of what minor would help me get closer to reaching my goal. I have heard business and mathematics minors are great when paired with an engineering degree, but feel like geology relates more to the petroleum industry. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Wouldn't geology be more appropriate for upstream? However, if you want to get an understanding the entire technology (in anticipation of possibly entering management), then geology would be a good choice. Do they have any petroleum engineering courses, involving porous media flow, at Drexel?

Is Chuck Weinberger still the head of the department, or has he retired by now?
 
Chestermiller said:
Wouldn't geology be more appropriate for upstream? However, if you want to get an understanding the entire technology (in anticipation of possibly entering management), then geology would be a good choice. Do they have any petroleum engineering courses, involving porous media flow, at Drexel?

Is Chuck Weinberger still the head of the department, or has he retired by now?
Yes, I agree it would be more appropriate for upstream. However, besides geoscience classes, the number of courses that correlate with petroleum engineering is next to none. I plan to speak to an advisor later this week to see if I am overlooking certain classes.

As far as Chuck Weinberger, I believe he is indeed retired. Currently, Cameron Abrams is the head of the Chemical Engineering department.
 
My brother got his degree in mechanical engineering and worked in the petroleum industry. A knowledge of pumps, pipes, valves, control systems, and fluid mechanics is useful whether you're dealing with transport of crude oil, the refining process, or transport of refined product.