Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Numerical Analysis Software for Physics

1. May 20, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'Numerical analysis software' is a vague term.

What do you want to do with the software?

Are you looking for symbolic math?
    Do you want to generate an harmonic analysis?
    Are you interested in a statistics package to help analyze experimental data?
    Do you need a tool to plot data?

Depending on your ultimate goal, there may be several packages which fit your requirements.

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    hhhmmm...at one time or another, a few years ago, I visited some of the webpages for the software listed in the link...at the end, I simply chose Python (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pyQt, etc).

As a non-user of the software, a brief homepage visit and maybe a trial usage, I have the following speculative opinions...

Sage is huge, a beast, a conglomerate of many other programs (dozens) unified under a common python interface; needless to say, one would need to really know how to use those other individual programs in order to use them through Sage.

Scilab and Freemat are a-la-matlab kind of programs. Scilab seems rather popular with literature, conferences, etc.

Euler seems for mathematicians, fancy plots, reminds me of Mathematica.

Julia is picking up good, seems designed for good performance, very friendly language but I am not sure what kind of shape is in regards to libraries...I would like Julia to be my programming language of the future...we shall see...keeping an eye on it.

...for now, I am sticking with Python...many libraries not only for data analysis but also for plotting, and even for quick application prototyping, I am talking enabling some of us non-programmer engineers/scientists fairly easily and quickly build basic GUI-based applications (pyqwt, enthought, pyQt, pySide). Besides, once you learn Python, you will also be able to script many other applications that have chosen Python as their scripting language.

Anyway, that's just my non-educated opinion, no need to sue me.

Lastly, do you know anybody in the field that you are looking to get into? Have you asked anyone there what they use?

5. May 25, 2014 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. May 25, 2014 #5
    Numerical Analysis of

- Einstein Field Equations
    - Schrodinger Equations

As a starter and graphs of solutions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook