Best place to begin a Civil Engineering career

• Thread starter bono
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hows it going? Graduate of 18 months with only 2 months experience since graduation. Living in Ireland where the economy is dead and buried and the job scene is hopeless so I'm looking at emigration. Spent the last year in Australia where I done my 2 months before being told I wasn't going to be sponsored so left the job and couldn't get another one as nobody would sponsor a graduate. Are there are (English speaking) countries that still has a decent demand for engineers? I'm hoping to work in either rail or structural industries, either site or design. Preferably looking for responses about what your own area is like, went to Oz on newspaper reports etc rather than what people who live there had to say. Cheers

Answers and Replies

Come over to Houston, TX. They always need jobs over here. The oil industry is pretty exciting, esp. designing rigs and pipelines.

Alberta Canada. I'm not sure if a civil engineer can find work specifically in the oil sands, but it creates its own economy up north; there's always something being built.