Best text for graduate analysis?

In summary, when it comes to learning measure theory as a supplement to Rudin's text, there are several options that are commonly used by students and recommended by experts. These include Royden, Folland, Lang, Riesz and Sz.-Nagy, Taylor, Wheeden and Zygmund, Stein and Shakarchi, Adams and Guillemin, and Asplund and Bungart. Each of these texts offers a unique approach and style, making them valuable resources for those looking to deepen their understanding of measure theory.
regularngon
My course is using Rudin, however I've heard that it's not the best text for learning measure theory and extremely difficult. What are some good supplements?

Physics news on Phys.org
I went thru most of Royden first before tackling Rudin. Folland is also commonly used.

Real and Functional Analysis (Graduate Texts in Mathematics) (Hardcover)
by Serge Lang (Author)
-Like the style
-Cleverly avoids typical tedious integration construction where one defines the integral for positive functions then real functions as differences of positive functions then complex as two real functions
Functional Analysis
Frigyes Riesz
Béla Sz.-Nagy
-classic
-inexpensive
-good to have
-many would find bad as a first or primary source
General Theory of Functions and Integration
Angus E. Taylor
-more context and details than usual
-gentile
-inexpensive

those all look good. my analyst friends also like wheeden and zygmund, and stein and shakarchi.

one of my friends, malcolm adams, also cowrote one, by adams and guillemin, whose name is measure theory and probability.

Last edited:
regularngon said:
My course is using Rudin, however I've heard that it's not the best text for learning measure theory and extremely difficult. What are some good supplements?

lang's analysis I and analysis Ii are good. lang;s treatment of measure theory is complete and beautiful! also hl royden is good for measure theory. rr goldberg is better than rudin for one variable stuff. bartle has excellent tratement on integration. also bartle and sherbat have good chapter on henstock integration. The academic series text by scwartz also contains readble intro to henstock. another god book on measure thory with radical good approach is asplund and bungart

1. What is the best graduate text for analysis?

The best graduate text for analysis is subjective and can vary depending on individual learning styles and goals. Some popular options include "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick, "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott, and "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin.

2. Which text is most suitable for beginners in graduate analysis?

For beginners in graduate analysis, "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott is often recommended. It provides a gentle introduction to the subject with clear explanations and examples.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a graduate analysis text?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a graduate analysis text. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and online lecture notes from various universities.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in undergraduate analysis before using a graduate analysis text?

It is highly recommended to have a strong background in undergraduate analysis before diving into a graduate analysis text. This will ensure a better understanding of the material and make the learning process smoother.

5. Are there any texts that focus specifically on real analysis or complex analysis?

Yes, there are texts that focus specifically on real analysis or complex analysis. Some examples include "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick for real analysis and "Complex Analysis" by Joseph Bak and Donald J. Newman for complex analysis.