1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Theoretical Physics Master Programs in the World

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    I wanted to know about some great masters programs in physics(theoretical) in UK,US ,Europe. I know about Cambridge Part 3 , Oxford Msc Theoretical physics, Perimeter but not all details.Also some good programs in US,UK would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not going to find many in the US, hardly anyone applies for a terminal masters degree.

Whats the best, anyway? Do you have some magical meter stick in which to quantitatively measure the programs? The best program is the one were you get accepted, and has interesting work to do!

4. Feb 22, 2016 #3
    What is a terminal master degree? I assume it's not a good thing haha, just curious and don't know much about the US system.

It's just here, to do a phd in applied maths or theoretical physics at cambridge its is very nearly a 100% prerequisite to have done their master course and the same goes for imperial college london too (while both say they do consider students without a postgraduate master for theoretical physics phds they also say that in practice only 1 person every few years gets an offer from them that haven't done a postgrad master)

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In the US you apply to doctorate programs after you've completed your bachelors degree. UK/Europe is different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook