1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Undergrad Program for Graduate Level Theoretical Physics?

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    Definitely looking to pursue graduate level theoretical physics in Quantum Mechanics.

Which undergrad program would be best? Mathematical Physics, General Physics, or Astrophysics?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2
    It depends on what field of physics you want to go into. "Theoretical physics" is not a field. All fields have theory.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    My mistake, I meant to say Quantum Mechanics. Post edited. Can a mod please edit the thread title.

Thank you,

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4
    Thats not really a field of physics either... Its a subject and theory that is used in just about every field of physics but bio-physics. Quantum theory is used in condensed matter, optics, high energy, atomic, nuclear, cosmology... Does that make sense?

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's important to remember that such undergraduate programs are going to have a fair amount of inter-school variation. So we can't tell you by the title of each program which would be "best" from an objective viewpoint. What matters is the courses you take, how much you learn in them and how well you do in them.

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6
    I don't think most schools even split undergrad into so many different options. For the most part you'll be a physics major and that is that. A few places might split off astronomy or astrophysics though. Anyway for what you want, it sounds like just being a regular physics major and not an astro major (if the place even has such a thing split off).

8. Oct 16, 2014 #7
    Thats true. But schools do have a focus and specialty for their research. Textbooks and lectures won't vary much. But your research opportunities, which are arguably more important than lectures, will.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook