1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way to approach this see saw on a turntable?

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    Hi forumers!

I have a concept for a DSLR boom crane and I want to operate it using stepper motors via belts/gears or pulleys.

It will be mounted on a driven turntable bearing on a tripod.
    The boom acts like a see-saw when mounted on the turntable.
    The load distance from the apex of the tripod will be user adjustable (0.5m, 1m, 1.5m)
    I have a known 5Kg load at one end.

I guess I have two axis of movement at the moment. Vertical (boom up/down) and rotation about the center of the tripod (turntable).

Where do I begin with the math for modelling this? I want to disregard construction materials just now and focus on forces involved.

Thanks
    Andy

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    Bump!

Anyone? Thanks.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have read this but I'm not able to help, I'm afraid. Too hard for me to deal with.
    Maybe these two posts will find someone's email and they'll be able to help.

btw, Have you tried a textbook?

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    A textbook would be fantastic, but which is appropriate? There are a few thousand of them and I'm lost as where to start.

Thanks

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just get stuck in - like we all had to before the Internet and these friendly forums were invented! :smile::smile::smile:
    You don't 'really 'need us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook