Best way to approach this see saw on a turntable?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Negativ3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Approach Turntable
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Negativ3
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hi forumers!

I have a concept for a DSLR boom crane and I want to operate it using stepper motors via belts/gears or pulleys.

It will be mounted on a driven turntable bearing on a tripod.
The boom acts like a see-saw when mounted on the turntable.
The load distance from the apex of the tripod will be user adjustable (0.5m, 1m, 1.5m)
I have a known 5Kg load at one end.

I guess I have two axis of movement at the moment. Vertical (boom up/down) and rotation about the center of the tripod (turntable).

Where do I begin with the math for modelling this? I want to disregard construction materials just now and focus on forces involved.

Thanks
Andy
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have read this but I'm not able to help, I'm afraid. Too hard for me to deal with.
Maybe these two posts will find someone's email and they'll be able to help.

btw, Have you tried a textbook?
 
A textbook would be fantastic, but which is appropriate? There are a few thousand of them and I'm lost as where to start.

Thanks
 
Just get stuck in - like we all had to before the Internet and these friendly forums were invented! :smile::smile::smile:
You don't 'really 'need us.