Best way to learn the equations in physics

• Thread starter Briandaflyin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, memorizing equations is not the key to understanding physics. What matters more are the underlying concepts and knowing when to apply them. It is also important to note that many equations in physics can be simplified or derived from a few fundamental principles. Instead of focusing on memorizing equations, it is more important to understand the concepts and how to manipulate them mathematically. A good resource for learning these concepts is Feynman's Lectures on Physics.
Briandaflyin
I am wondering the best way to learn the equations in physics. I have already learned most of the concepts through other means ie. Googling. Is there any books that only teach the equations.
Brian

Physics news on Phys.org

Which equations? I found myself doing SO many problems in Phys 1 that it just started to come naturally. But on the tests we were given and equation sheet, though I rarely used it.

I am not taking phys 1, just self learning. I was juat wondering if there any good books to read that teach you them.
Brian

You can't really separate the math from the concepts so there's no such book as 'just equations'. Wouldnt make much sense.

For example what is Newton's second law, conceptually mean? If you said something like, "Force is equal to the rate of change of momentum" or something equivalent then all you did was put the equation into words. Mathematics is really the language of physics.

Feynman's Lectures on Physics are full of equations. Why not start with them?

I'll try Feynman's lectures, is it a book or audio

Eemmmmm... dude, memorizing the equations isn't going to get you anywhere in physics. Even something as simple as F=ma is significantly harder than it looks.

Yeah, I got a textbook at the library, so I guess it will work. Thanks everyone

Angry Citizen said:
Eemmmmm... dude, memorizing the equations isn't going to get you anywhere in physics. Even something as simple as F=ma is significantly harder than it looks.

This.

I've never once gone out of my way to memorize equations. Some of them, like Schrodinger's equation from quantum mechanics or the first law of thermodynamics, do eventually embed themselves into your head after a while, but memorizing them won't help you do physics better. What matters more are the concepts: what the equations mean and how to manipulate them mathematically is far more important than being able to recite them.

In fact, there are only a handful equations in physics. Conservation of energy, for example, shows up in several forms:

1. [tex] m g h + \frac{1}{2} m v_i^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v_2^2[/tex]
2. [tex] dU = T \: dS - p \: dV [/tex]
3. [tex] - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \Psi + V \Psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} [/tex]

etc.,

They're all pretty much the same equation: energy before (+ work, if applicable) = energy after. It's just ONE equation, disguised as several. No need to memorize it in its myriad forms. Focus more on knowing when to applying the concept.

What are the most effective study methods for learning equations in physics?

The most effective method for learning equations in physics is to practice solving problems and understanding the concepts behind the equations. This can include working through practice problems, creating flashcards, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

How can I memorize equations more easily?

Memorization is not the most effective way to learn equations in physics. Instead, focus on understanding the concepts and applying them to solve problems. This will help you better understand the equations and their significance.

Are there any shortcuts to learning equations in physics?

While there may be some tips and tricks that can help with memorization, the best way to learn equations in physics is to understand the underlying concepts and practice applying them to solve problems. This will give you a deeper understanding of the equations and their applications.

How should I organize my notes and study materials for learning equations in physics?

It is important to keep your notes and study materials organized when learning equations in physics. One way to do this is to group equations together by topic or concept, and to include examples and explanations for each equation. You can also create a formula sheet or index for quick reference.

What resources are available to help me learn equations in physics?

There are many resources available to help you learn equations in physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, and join study groups with classmates to work through problems and discuss concepts together.