Best Way to measure Relativistic Rocket Acceleration?

In summary, engineers will have to test the relativistic performances of rockets and spaceships in the future. It is still unclear what you wish to accomplish. This has already been well tested in particle accelerators. Furthermore, you cannot neglect mass losses if you use a rocket to generate thrust and wish to reach relativistic velocities.
tade
Someday, mankind will be able to construct rockets that can move at relativistic speeds.

The acceleration is given by ##a=\frac{F_0}{γ^3m_0}##

##F_0## can be easily measured by placing a force gauge on the rocket itself.

The acceleration is much harder to measure, is has to be measured in a frame in which the rocket is zipping past at relativistic speeds.What efficient methods to measure the acceleration can you think of?

My idea is placing a camera far away from the rocket's path and taking snapshots of it to see how its position evolves over time.

But we also have to consider tricky relativistic optics.

Physics news on Phys.org
tade said:
The acceleration
The ?

And what would ##\gamma## be in this expression ?

I expect it's a lot easier to measure a Doppler shift and differentiate. Leaving cameras all over the place doesn't sound efficient.

BvU said:
And what would ##\gamma## be in this expression ?
The Lorentz factor? based on the speed of the rocket

I know. But it's relative to something...

BvU said:
I know. But it's relative to something...
relative to the frame which you are in, making the measurements.

Yeah, I looked it up . It's the expression for transformation of acceleration between two inertial frames. Have to let it sink into understand whether it's necessarily between two inertial frames or can be applied within a non-inertial frame as well. Somewhat above my pay grade (experimentalist). @Orodruin ?

Force in the conventional sense is not very well defined in SR. From your post, it would seem that you are using ##F_0## to be the force in the instantaneous rest frame, which would make ##F_0/m_0## equal to the proper acceleration. Your formula will then generally depend on whether or not you are accelerating in the direction of motion or not.

It is unclear to me what you want to use this for. Acceleration is easily accessible in any frame. As you say, just observe the position as a function of time an account for the travel time of light.

Likes QuantumQuest
Orodruin said:
Force in the conventional sense is not very well defined in SR. From your post, it would seem that you are using ##F_0## to be the force in the instantaneous rest frame, which would make ##F_0/m_0## equal to the proper acceleration. Your formula will then generally depend on whether or not you are accelerating in the direction of motion or not.

It is unclear to me what you want to use this for. Acceleration is easily accessible in any frame. As you say, just observe the position as a function of time an account for the travel time of light.
Yup, all the vectors are pointing in the same direction. Just linear acceleration.

Yes, that's what I said, now I need a good way to practically and experimentally carry it out. Ideas for the near future perhaps.

Engineers will have to test the relativistic performances of rockets and spaceships in the future.

It is still unclear what you wish to accomplish. This has already been well tested in particle accelerators.

Relativistic space ships of macroscopic size are not a near future thing.

Furthermore, you cannot neglect mass losses if you use a rocket to generate thrust and wish to reach relativistic velocities.

Orodruin said:
It is still unclear what you wish to accomplish. This has already been well tested in particle accelerators.

Relativistic space ships of macroscopic size are not a near future thing.

Furthermore, you cannot neglect mass losses if you use a rocket to generate thrust and wish to reach relativistic velocities.
Yes, but the rockets still have to be tested after they have been built. I'm just wondering what methods future engineers might use to accomplish the task of tracking a relativistic rocket's position. Something efficient and as cheap as possible.

Ok, maybe the far future then. Does near-future mean in about 50 years time to you?

Certainly we can take into account the rocket's changing mass.

tade said:
Does near-future mean in about 50 years time to you?

Barring unexpected giant advancements you will not see macroscopic relativistic rockets in the next 200 years. Have you taken the time to compute what portion of a rocket's mass must be converted into thrust in order for it to reach relativistic velocity? It is humongous.

Orodruin said:
Barring unexpected giant advancements you will not see macroscopic relativistic rockets in the next 200 years. Have you taken the time to compute what portion of a rocket's mass must be converted into thrust in order for it to reach relativistic velocity? It is humongous.
Do you have any link regarding that? Not that I don't believe you.

Anyway, this thread is less about rocket energy and more about tracking position.

tade said:
Do you have any link regarding that? Not that I don't believe you.

Anyway, this thread is less about rocket energy and more about tracking position.
The 200 years is a personal lower estimate. I would be surprised if it happened at all unless special relativity is fundamentally misguided for macroscopic objects - which we have no reason to believe.

The computation of the mass fraction needed to be ejected in order to reach relativistic velocities is a typical textbook exercise.

Orodruin said:
The 200 years is a personal lower estimate. I would be surprised if it happened at all unless special relativity is fundamentally misguided for macroscopic objects - which we have no reason to believe.

The computation of the mass fraction needed to be ejected in order to reach relativistic velocities is a typical textbook exercise.
ok. but why do you think that it is impossible? someday we might find a way to harness enough energy.

and anyway for this thread I want to focus on tracking a rocket.

tade said:
ok. but why do you think that it is impossible? someday we might find a way to harness enough energy.
Because the energy required is essentially the entire starting mass of the rocket. It is not a matter of finding the energy, it is the ratio between total rocket mass and useful payload that will kill you. Never mind the useful payload if you ever want to decelerate to return to the original state of motion.
tade said:
and anyway for this thread I want to focus on tracking a rocket.
You have much more pressing problems than relativistic optics then. For example, where does the illumination of the rocket come from and what frequency it will be observed at.

Likes BvU

What is the concept of relativistic rocket acceleration?

Relativistic rocket acceleration is the change in velocity of a rocket as it travels at speeds close to the speed of light, taking into account the effects of special relativity. This means that as the rocket accelerates, its mass increases and time dilates, making it more difficult to achieve further acceleration.

How is relativistic rocket acceleration different from classical rocket acceleration?

Classical rocket acceleration is based on Newton's laws of motion, which do not take into account the effects of special relativity. In classical physics, the mass of an object remains constant regardless of its speed. However, in relativistic rocket acceleration, the mass increases as the rocket approaches the speed of light.

What are the factors that affect the measurement of relativistic rocket acceleration?

The measurement of relativistic rocket acceleration is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the rocket, the thrust of the rocket engine, the direction of acceleration, and the distance traveled. Additionally, the measurement may be affected by the accuracy and precision of the measuring instruments.

What is the best way to measure relativistic rocket acceleration?

The best way to measure relativistic rocket acceleration is using a combination of methods, including onboard sensors, ground-based tracking systems, and calculations based on the rocket's initial and final velocities. It is important to ensure that the measuring instruments are precise and accurate, and that all necessary corrections for relativistic effects are taken into account.

How does the measurement of relativistic rocket acceleration contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The measurement of relativistic rocket acceleration can provide valuable insights into the fundamental principles of physics and the nature of the universe. It helps us understand the effects of special relativity on objects traveling at high speeds, and can also aid in the development of future space exploration technologies. Additionally, accurately measuring relativistic rocket acceleration can help validate and refine our current scientific theories.