Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better for egg cooking? Asphalt Vs. Sewer cap

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    me and my friends are having an arguemnet. what is better for cooking an egg during the summer: on hot asphalt or on a sewer cap. EXAMPLE: you have a sewer cap and the surrounding asphalt. both have been sitting in the sun for the same amount of time. If you were to crack an egg on both, which would cook the egg faster? please help us end this horrific battle :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The easiest way to end your dispute, and probably the most fun, is to actually cook a few dozen eggs, and time how long it takes to cook on the different surfaces. :smile:

4. Jun 8, 2006 #3
    i need to know right now

5. Jun 8, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How many asphalt skillets have you seen in kitchens? Give you a clue?

6. Jun 8, 2006 #5
    A very good clue indeed.

7. Jun 8, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I have no idea what your dietary habits are, but I personally wouldn't eat anything that had been cooked on either one.

8. Jun 9, 2006 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Metal conducts heat better than asphalt. However black asphalt will have a higher temperature than a lighter coloered sewer cap. It's a tough call. If the sewer cap were painted flat black, I'd bet on the sewer cap.

9. Jun 9, 2006 #8

Mk

In the summer here in Siberia, the best place to cook eggs is inside the house.

10. Jun 9, 2006 #9

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Place your hand on each on a sunny day. If the sewer cap (we call it a manhole cover) doesn't feel hotter, I'll eat the egg.

11. Jun 9, 2006 #10
    Tobydogg: the best way to cook an egg is to stick it in the microwave on full power for five minutes.

:smile:

12. Jun 9, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Five minutes?! Are you trying to make your own golf balls? I always do my eggs in the MW, and one minute gets them just right.

13. Jun 9, 2006 #12
    No, Danger. Five minutes at least. Full power.

:smile:

14. Jun 9, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Fine, have it your way. Don't come crying to me when you break your teeth. :tongue:

15. Jun 9, 2006 #14
    Why don't you er, give it a whirl?

:rofl:

16. Jun 9, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Because I don't like them all dried out (unless I'm making an egg salad sandwich). One minute makes them just like semi-hard poached--moist, but not running.

17. Jun 9, 2006 #16

dav2008

Gold Member

Well I guess that comment landed Tony in the can.

Now I know what it means when someone's name is crossed out.

18. Jun 9, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Can't say as I'll miss him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?