Waterloo vs. Minnesota Duluth for physics M.Sc.

In summary, the University of Minnesota offered an M.Sc. in physics, while the University of Waterloo offered a M.Sc. in quantum information and foundations in quantum theory. Both universities have one professor who is open to working with a student who is interested in string theory, but the professor at Duluth said that a reading course would be necessary for preparation. The professor at Waterloo said that the close proximity to Perimeter Institute might offer a chance to do a summer project or some project on the side alongside the student's experimental thesis. It is the student's decision whether to graduate from Waterloo, which might offset the lack of a full thesis in string theory when applying for a PhD in the US or Canada, but other factors should be
David DCruz
I received acceptances from the University of Minnesota, Duluth (not Twin Cities) and the University of Waterloo for their physics M.Sc. programs. I am interested in string theory - not exactly sure about the subfield.

At Duluth, there is only one professor working in string cosmology who I think was open to me joining his group during email conversations - he didn't explicitly say this but he mentioned something about a reading course as preparation.

On the other hand, at Waterloo I will be working in an experimental field (not high energy physics) - the supervisor is decided at the time of admission. I am not sure what are the chances of changing advisors but I'm not banking on it. I do however feel that the close proximity to Perimeter Institute might offer a chance to do a summer project or some project on the side alongside my experimental thesis.

I know the decision is mine in the end but I wanted your opinion on a few things. Would graduating from Waterloo (better department) offset the lack of a full thesis in string theory (I might have a smaller project at Perimeter) when I apply for PhD programs in the US or Canada in the future? If I decide to go to Waterloo and do a small project at Perimeter, are my chances of getting a PhD admit with that same group considerable (assuming I do good work)? If you believe I should consider other factors when I'm deciding, please do let me know. I have till Wednesday June 1st to decide. Any help is very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think being near the Perimeter is a huge plus. There are wonderful people there and also a lot of very famous professors regularly visit for a few months over the summer (they have visiting research chairs).

I also think that if you are planning on getting a PhD in the US, having research experience in HEP Ex rather than in theory may not be a bad thing. It seems that people in HEP ex do need to know a lot of QFT, so if you took those classes during your masters, you would would be able to come into grad school and take strings right away:

Thanks very much for shedding some light on Perimeter.
radium said:
having research experience in HEP Ex rather than in theory may not be a bad thing.:
My experimental research project will be in quantum information and foundations in quantum theory.

Oh ok, I think that should be fine too.

Just a clarification. I emailed the professor at Minnesota and he said that he specifically works in cosmic strings which according to him are not directly related to string theory - they're more like topological solutions to field theories.

Guess this info slightly favors choosing Waterloo (although understanding QFT now will help in string theory research later)

What are the main differences between the physics M.Sc. programs at Waterloo and Minnesota Duluth?

The main difference between these two programs is the location and the overall curriculum. Waterloo is located in Canada and has a more research-focused program, while Minnesota Duluth is located in the United States and has a more coursework-based program. Additionally, Waterloo has a larger faculty and research opportunities, while Minnesota Duluth has a smaller faculty and a more personalized learning experience.

Which program has a better reputation in the field of physics?

Both Waterloo and Minnesota Duluth have reputable physics programs, but Waterloo is often ranked higher in international rankings and has a larger presence in the research community. However, this may vary depending on the specific subfield of physics.

What are the job prospects after completing a physics M.Sc. from either Waterloo or Minnesota Duluth?

Both programs have good job prospects for graduates. Waterloo's research-focused program may lead to more opportunities in academia and research institutions, while Minnesota Duluth's coursework-based program may prepare students for industry positions. Ultimately, the job prospects will depend on the individual's skills, experience, and networking abilities.

Which program has more opportunities for hands-on learning and practical experience?

Waterloo has a larger faculty and research opportunities, which may provide more hands-on and practical learning experiences. However, Minnesota Duluth's smaller faculty may allow for more personalized attention and opportunities for hands-on projects with professors. It is important to research the specific opportunities available within each program to determine which would be a better fit for your learning style.

What is the cost difference between studying at Waterloo and Minnesota Duluth?

The cost of studying at either university will vary depending on your residency status and the specific program you choose. In general, tuition fees at Waterloo may be higher for international students, while Minnesota Duluth may have lower tuition fees for both domestic and international students. It is important to research the cost of attendance for each program and factor in any potential scholarships or financial aid opportunities.