Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better way of posting equations

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1

BRN

Hi!
    I want know if there is a better way to post equations compared to the existing?

Tanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What would you find a "better way"? If you find using ##\LaTeX## cumbersome, I can understand that it requires a bit of getting used to, but I can assure you that it is very much worthwhile, not only for your time here. There is a primer on it, too.

4. Nov 26, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, if you can tell us a better way to do equations than LaTeX, or a "visual" LaTeX editor, that can be integrated into Xenforo forum software, please do!

5. Nov 26, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is one better way and that is to prepare equations , diagrams , text and final layout using personal software and then paste or upload result into PF .

I use CAD but there is lots of other software available for this purpose .

Setting out even very complicated equations in clear format is easy in CAD because it is done graphically - you just move things around with the mouse until layout is perfect . Many fonts including scientific symbols are available but if anything special is needed you just create it and add to your personal graphic symbols library .

6. Nov 26, 2016 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One of the reasons why I like ##\LaTeX## is because I do not have to move things around to optimize the layout - the typesetter does it for me.

Out of curiosity: Can one also use ##\LaTeX## strings in typical CAD packages?

7. Nov 26, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not that I know of . Could be done though if facility was ever needed - most modern CAD systems allow user written routines to be added .

8. Nov 27, 2016 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This has one major problem: people replying to a post can't quote individual equations out of an image, or edit them to show corrections.

9. Nov 28, 2016 #8

BRN

Ops! I'm sorry, but I did not realize that you could also use latex! Now I will!

Tanks!

10. Nov 28, 2016 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted