1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Between any two distinct real numbers there is a rational number

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let x and y be real numbers with x<y and write an inequality involving a rational
    number p/q capturing what we need to prove. Multiply everything in your inequality by q,
    then explain why this means you want q to be large enough so that q(y-x)>1 . Explain
    how you can rewrite this inequality and use the Archimedean property to find such a q.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, this is a question on a worksheet our teacher gave us to go along with the theorem in the book. Here is what I did so far:

x < p/q < y
    Then multiply both sides by q as the question states:
    qx < p < yq
    0 < p-qx < yq-qx
    0 < p-qx < q(y-x)

I am having trouble seeing why q(y-x)>1. It is obviously great than zero as the inequality states, but can someone help me see why it has to be >1??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    What you are trying to do is exhibit a rational number [tex]p/q[/tex] between [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex], that is, to choose [tex]p[/tex] and [tex]q[/tex] so that [tex]x < p/q < y[/tex]. The argument you're being led down is a strategy for choosing [tex]q[/tex], then [tex]p[/tex], so that they satisfy the conditions you want.

So, what you need to do is:
    1. prove that you can choose [tex]q[/tex] so that [tex]q(y - x) > 1[/tex], i.e., prove that such a [tex]q[/tex] exists; then
    2. figure out why that means that you can choose [tex]p[/tex] so that [tex]0 < p - qx < q(y - x)[/tex], i.e., give a proof that if you have [tex]q[/tex] satisfying part 1 then such a [tex]p[/tex] exists.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    So, we chose q>1/(y-x)?

So then,
    0 < p-(x/(y-x)) < 1
    0 < p < (y/(y-x))

I'm still lost on how we choose p then.

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    You need to give one sentence (really, one phrase) of proof for why one can choose [tex]q > 1/(y - x)[/tex].

Now you need [tex]p[/tex] to satisfy [tex]0 < p - qx < q(y - x)[/tex]. Rewrite this as [tex]qx < p < qy[/tex]. You need to find an integer [tex]p[/tex] satisfying this inequality. Why does your choice of [tex]q[/tex] guarantee that there is at least one such [tex]p[/tex]? (This is the only condition you need [tex]p[/tex] to satisfy!)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook