Between H.S and college: would like pre-study STEM advice?

In summary: It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to become a doctor, and that doesn't include getting into medical school.2) What are your career goals? Do you want to be a doctor for the rest of your life, or are you planning on moving on once you become a doctor?3) What are your math and science skills? Medical school is a very competitive field, and you will need to have very strong math and science skills to succeed.1) It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to become a doctor, and that doesn't include getting into medical school.2) You should major in something you enjoy that should have potential career paths for you in case medical school doesn't work
TranscedentKid
The safe path for me is pre-med, which means biology. For career purposes, I imagine it's in my best interests to double major (Bio, computer sci, maybe a minor in business or economics). I've been told that having tech schools will make an M.D. even more valuable.

Which reminds me-- I've been wondering if I should do Bio or Molecular Bio? I've heard that Molecular is biology, but more in-depth.

Anyway, my math, chemistry, and bio skills are not ready for college level.
I'm certain I will have struggles with the GEN eds.

My game plan is to binge Khan Academy for math, go through my old chemistry textbook, and this (http://101science.com/biology.htm) for Bio.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Self-directed study is good. ANY major field in college is also good for development if you intend to try medical school. The physical or natural sciences or maybe mathematics would be better. Biology does not need to be your major field if med school is what you want. You want to develop a critical, analytical mind and technical knowledge, and this is why the physical sciences could be more useful. This really means, anything in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. If "biology" is what you want as a major field, consider a more specific choice within it, like Biochemistry, Microbiology, or botany, or zoology. Do not ignore elective choices in computer science.

symbolipoint said:
Self-directed study is good. ANY major field in college is also good for development if you intend to try medical school. The physical or natural sciences or maybe mathematics would be better. Biology does not need to be your major field if med school is what you want. You want to develop a critical, analytical mind and technical knowledge, and this is why the physical sciences could be more useful. This really means, anything in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. If "biology" is what you want as a major field, consider a more specific choice within it, like Biochemistry, Microbiology, or botany, or zoology. Do not ignore elective choices in computer science.

I'm well aware that I don't quite to be a Bio major, but I'm told it's the most convenient thing. Could go into more detail with computer science? When you say specific choice, do mean the classes I choose within the major?

TranscedentKid said:
I'm well aware that I don't quite to be a Bio major, but I'm told it's the most convenient thing. Could go into more detail with computer science? When you say specific choice, do mean the classes I choose within the major?
What I mean is, more focused interest within the more general field of Biology.

symbolipoint said:
What I mean is, more focused interest within the more general field of Biology.

as for computer science?

I'm not sure I would call getting into medical school a safe bet, it is very competitive. It's not hard to pick up the extra classes for it with any STEM major.

Basically just studying bio because you think it is the easiest path to med school isn't a good idea. You should major in something you enjoy that should have potential career paths for you in case medical school doesn't work out. Bio is also very broad you should focus on what area of biology you would be interested in, if that is what you are truly interested in studying not just purely for medical school.

TranscedentKid said:
My game plan is to binge Khan Academy for math

Very bad idea. Khan Academy provides a very fake sense of knowledge. You must go through an actual textbook and you must work out many problems yourself (especially hard problems where you get stuck on). That is the only way to learn math. Khan Academy should only be used as a secondary resource. Do not "binge" it. Binge on an actual math book instead.

Also, med school as a safe choice? Seriously?

micromass said:
Very bad idea. Khan Academy provides a very fake sense of knowledge. You must go through an actual textbook and you must work out many problems yourself (especially hard problems where you get stuck on). That is the only way to learn math. Khan Academy should only be used as a secondary resource. Do not "binge" it. Binge on an actual math book instead.

Also, med school as a safe choice? Seriously?

Safe choice= people will pay for a doctor for the foreseeable future

I have a pre-calc textbook I bought cheap off a former roommate. I would like to make sure my algebra 1&2 are good enough before I pick that up.

TranscedentKid said:
Safe choice= people will pay for a doctor for the foreseeable future

That is not really an argument. People will also pay for engineers in the foreseeable future. And they will pay for garbage collectors. Etc. There are other arguments you should take into account:

1) Is it easy to become a doctor? I mean, you can study pre-med and then not make it into med school. That is a possibility you should take into account. What will you do then?
2) Are there too many doctors? Will there be too many doctors in the future? Sure, people will always need doctors, but if there are too many of them, you might still end up without a job.
3) Do you like being a doctor? Why do you want to become a doctor aside from it being a safe job?

And please, only double major if it interests you, not because it will look good in your career.

micromass said:
That is not really an argument. People will also pay for engineers in the foreseeable future. And they will pay for garbage collectors. Etc. There are other arguments you should take into account:

1) Is it easy to become a doctor? I mean, you can study pre-med and then not make it into med school. That is a possibility you should take into account. What will you do then?
2) Are there too many doctors? Will there be too many doctors in the future? Sure, people will always need doctors, but if there are too many of them, you might still end up without a job.
3) Do you like being a doctor? Why do you want to become a doctor aside from it being a safe job?

And please, only double major if it interests you, not because it will look good in your career.
I think my interests lie in biotech and biomedical engineering. Human enhancement sounds awesome.

I've also heard directly and indirectly from doctors that PHDs are less likely to get research grants and such than M.Ds. I'm not sure, but it sounds PHDs don't quite get the respect they should.

TranscedentKid said:
I think my interests lie in biotech and biomedical engineering. Human enhancement sounds awesome.

Then things become even more puzzling. Why not pursue that? Why would you go to med school aside from "there will always be need for doctors".

TranscedentKid said:
I've also heard directly and indirectly from doctors that PHDs are less likely to get research grants and such than M.Ds. I'm not sure, but it sounds PHDs don't quite get the respect they should.

I don't know whether this is true. But regardless, an engineer and an MD have a very different skillset. When doing research, you will likely require both of these skillsets (together with many others). So even if the MDs get the research grants, they will still need the expertise of the biomedical engineers.

micromass said:
Then things become even more puzzling. Why not pursue that? Why would you go to med school aside from "there will always be need for doctors".

Honestly, because most people I've talked to say the following things about medicine:

1. Human capital (job availability and how much people think I'm worth)

2. credibility and respect (The less scientifically experienced automatically think I'm extremely intelligent, just because of the M.D status)

So would you even like being a doctor? Have you volunteered in a hospital before and did you like it? Are you just doing it for the money and the respect?

micromass said:
I don't know whether this is true. But regardless, an engineer and an MD have a very different skillset. When doing research, you will likely require both of these skillsets (together with many others). So even if the MDs get the research grants, they will still need the expertise of the biomedical engineers.

My experiences with medicine have been through my father and uncle (both geriatric psychiatrists), and a few surgeries.
The ideal situation is that I found something within medicine that I particularly like.

My current vision is to be a science entrepreneur or businessman, with the M.D backing me up.

I'm told that I'd have to do outside research if I want to connect my potential experiences in medical school with the current tech savvy.

micromass said:

I'm told I should avoid engineering, because I don't have the math talent. I won't be as good as I'd like to be.

micromass said:
Are there too many doctors? Will there be too many doctors in the future? Sure, people will always need doctors, but if there are too many of them, you might still end up without a job.

Just to note here, this is unlikely due to the fact that the supply of doctors in the US is artificially limited by the American Medical Association. Whereas grad schools and law schools take in as many people as they want, medical schools are a bit more cautious (this is also a potential reason doctors are paid so well).

TranscedentKid said:
I'm told I should avoid engineering, because I don't have the math talent. I won't be as good as I'd like to be.
Math Talent is not all the same. Maybe you DO have the potential to be able to use some of mathematics as a language and as a tool. Any pre-medical route will include at least one year of college level Calculus, which necessarily includes at least one semester of Trigonometry, and often a bit more beyond the one year of Calculus.

1. How can I prepare for a STEM major in college during high school?

There are several ways to prepare for a STEM major in college during high school. First, make sure to take challenging math and science courses, such as calculus, physics, and biology. Additionally, participate in extracurricular activities that align with your interests in STEM, such as robotics club or science competitions. You can also consider taking online courses or attending summer programs in STEM fields to gain more experience and knowledge.

2. What skills are important to have for success in a STEM major?

Some important skills for success in a STEM major include critical thinking, problem-solving, and strong mathematical and analytical skills. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the scientific method, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, having strong communication skills and being able to present and explain complex concepts are important for success in STEM fields.

3. How can I decide which STEM major is right for me?

Choosing a STEM major can be a difficult decision. To help you decide, it is important to explore your interests and strengths. Consider taking a variety of courses in high school to see which subjects you enjoy the most. You can also talk to professionals in different STEM fields or shadow them to gain a better understanding of what the job entails. Researching job prospects and salary potential can also help you narrow down your options.

4. What resources are available to help me succeed in a STEM major?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in a STEM major. Your college or university will likely have academic support services, such as tutoring and study groups. You can also seek out mentorship opportunities with professors or professionals in your field. Online resources, such as educational websites and forums, can also provide helpful study materials and tips.

5. How can I balance my coursework and extracurricular activities in a STEM major?

Balancing coursework and extracurricular activities in a STEM major can be challenging, but it is important to find a balance to avoid burnout. Prioritize your coursework and make a schedule to stay on top of your assignments and studying. It is also important to make time for self-care and relaxation. When choosing extracurricular activities, consider ones that align with your interests and can also provide valuable experiences for your future career.