Seismogram: M 6.8 & 7.1 Earthquakes in Eastern New Britain, PNG

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, there was a M 7.1 earthquake in eastern New Britain, PNG following a M 6.8 event that occurred the day before. The seismogram shows that the 6.8 event was more sustained and had a larger amplitude compared to the 7.1 event. There was a 6km difference in depth between the two events, but this does not account for the difference in amplitude. It is expected that the magnitude will be revised down to around 6.8. There have been other earthquakes in the same region, including a M 5.1 in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and M 6.7 and M 6.8 events in Papua New Guinea. These earthquakes
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
initial listing is a M 7.1 eastern New Britain, PNG

this is following the M 6.8 that occurred at that location yesterday

the 6.8 can be seen near the top of the seismogram and the 7.1 at the bottom
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htmDave

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
OK the amplitude isn't as large or as sustained as yesterday's event and the ~ 6km difference in depth wouldn't account for the difference in amplitude between the two events

I'm expecting the magnitude the probably be revised down to around 6.8 +- 0.2

Dave

Earthquake of magnitude 5.1 in andaman and nicobar islands.

Why so many earthquakes? And i heard someone saying that India is shifting.

AdityaDev said:

Yes.

AdityaDev said:

the numbers of quakes are no higher than normal. In fact over the last 6 months the numbers have been considerably lower than the average

I didn't watch that video yet, But I assume it's probably showing the movement of the Indian continent up into the Euro-Asian continent, which has been occurring for 100's of millions of years. That is all just part of plate tectonics

Dave

OK here's the seismogram for last nite's event
and as suspected it was downgraded from the initial M 7.1 to a M 6.8

150501.080523.zhi.gif
cheers
Dave

1. What is a seismogram?

A seismogram is a graphical record of the ground motion caused by an earthquake. It is created by a seismograph, which is a device that measures and records seismic waves.

2. Where is Eastern New Britain and why is it prone to earthquakes?

Eastern New Britain is an island located in the Bismarck Archipelago of Papua New Guinea. It is prone to earthquakes because it sits on the boundary of two tectonic plates, the Australian and Pacific plates. This creates a lot of seismic activity as the plates move against each other.

3. What do the numbers 6.8 and 7.1 represent in the seismogram?

The numbers 6.8 and 7.1 represent the magnitude of the earthquakes that occurred in Eastern New Britain. Magnitude is a measure of the energy released by an earthquake, and it is measured on a logarithmic scale. This means that a magnitude 7.1 earthquake is 10 times stronger than a magnitude 6.8 earthquake.

4. How can seismograms help scientists understand earthquakes?

Seismograms provide valuable information about the location, magnitude, and duration of an earthquake. By analyzing the data from multiple seismograms, scientists can determine the source of the earthquake, the type of fault it occurred on, and the potential damage it may have caused. This information can help with earthquake prediction and preparedness.

5. Can seismograms be used to predict future earthquakes?

No, seismograms cannot be used to predict future earthquakes with certainty. While they can provide valuable information about past earthquakes, there is currently no reliable method for predicting when and where an earthquake will occur. However, seismograms can help scientists identify areas that are at higher risk for earthquakes and inform emergency response efforts.