Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bilinear mappings, tensor products and p-summing operators

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    Can somebody please explain bilinear maps, tensor products and p-summing operators in an easy-to-understand way. As though explaining to an undergraduate student who just knows basic linear algebra and basic functional analysis. And please give some nice examples to make the explanations more clear. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. May 16, 2013 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did not see anything in the book linked by Lang except bilinear operations and maps. For tensors, i.e. multilinear ones, you might try Greub's Linear Algebra, if you can find a copy of the second edition. Maybe after that the tensor stuff was put into a different book, his Multilinear Algebra. There have been hundreds of posts on tensors here over the last 9 years that I have been here, and you can search threads here quite well.

Here is one of them from 2004:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=262170#post262170

5. May 17, 2013 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Maybe you can meet us halfway by telling us what you understand about each and what you don't understand.

6. May 17, 2013 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook