1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bilkent University for MS - Reviews needed

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    Hello

I have been accepted into the Bilkent University graduate program in Physics and was wondering if anyone has much information about this university. Any former/current students who can review the department, so to speak. I am interested in theoretical condensed matter and high energy physics. There dont seem to be many faculty memebers with those interests.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2
    Anyone? Surely someone must know of the university's ranking/prestige/where a decent performing alumnus can hope to end up?

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never heard of it.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I haven't heard of it either - but why would you want to go to a place without potential advisors in your field?

6. Jun 10, 2013 #5
    Well, the reasons I'd still consider going are:

1) Lack of other options - I have a sub 3.0 cGPA, the chances of US grad school seem pretty slim
    2) Undergraduate preparation in Pakistan is pretty terrible - an MS from a decent university would allow me to improve to a competitive level internationally and study graduate level courses to demonstrate this improvement.
    3) I'm looking at an MS as an opportunity to also study things unavailable to me here - General Relativity, nonlinear dynamics etc before committing to something as long-term like a Phd.

I would welcome critique/criticism/suggestions regarding these points.

As for Bilkent, It seems to be a rather odd sort of place - their alumni seem to do alright:
    http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/~physics/html/alumni.htm

And word of mouth says its a really good university - It's just really hard to get information about Non Us/UK/Canadian universities as most ratings seem to be heavily biased in their favor. Russian universities for example, routinely produce world-class physicists but do terribly in physics rankings worldwide. So at the moment I'm trying to determine if that holds true for Bilkent as well.

Like I said, I'm primarily interested in an MS for the coursework and the opportunity to counter my undergraduate record. For such a purpose, would research with an advisor not directly related to my future goals be acceptable?

As a further query - How important is the MS thesis area anyway? I'm under the impression that its not a "lock-in" decision - one can pursue a Phd in an entirely different area at a US university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook