• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Billiard ball collision at right angle

• Thread starter Brite
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Two billiard balls of equal mass move at right angles and meet at the origin of an xy coordinate system. Ball A is moving upward along the y axis at 2.0 m/s and ball B is moving to the right along the x axis with speed 3.7 m/s. After the collision (elastic), ball B is moving along the positive y axis. What is the final direction of ball A and what are their two speeds?

2. Homework Equations
mAvA + mBvB = mav'A + mBv'B
1/2mAvA2 + 1/2mBvB2 = 1/2mAv'A2 + 1/2mBv'B2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that because this is an elastic collision, momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. I think it's just that the two balls start on different axes is what's throwing me off.

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
1. Homework Statement
Two billiard balls of equal mass move at right angles and meet at the origin of an xy coordinate system. Ball A is moving upward along the y axis at 2.0 m/s and ball B is moving to the right along the x axis with speed 3.7 m/s. After the collision (elastic), ball B is moving along the positive y axis. What is the final direction of ball A and what are their two speeds?

2. Homework Equations
mAvA + mBvB = mav'A + mBv'B
1/2mAvA2 + 1/2mBvB2 = 1/2mAv'A2 + 1/2mBv'B2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that because this is an elastic collision, momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. I think it's just that the two balls start on different axes is what's throwing me off.
Welcome to PF.

Indeed the 2 dimensions do make a difference. You will want to treat them separately.

Momentum in x is conserved
Momentum in y is conserved
KE is conserved.