A ball hitting a two-ball system (with a spring between them)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving collisions between two masses connected by a spring. The initial collision is perfectly elastic and the problem asks for the most negative velocity of the ##m## mass in the lab frame. The experts suggest a full-frontal approach to the problem, as well as a "naive intuitive" approach, but both are found to be incorrect. The final suggestion is to relax the condition and instead have ##V_M\geq V_{COM}-\Delta V##, but the exact definition of ##\Delta V## is yet to be determined.
mattlfang
Homework Statement
See below chart. A ball with hit a two ball system with a spring in between. What's the maximum ratio of masses so the balls will collide one more time.
Relevant Equations
The law of momentum conservation, The law of energy conservation
I honeslty don't quite know how to start. It seems like the Hooke's coefficent k is independent of the answer to this problem.

I would also appreciate any clue of expressing the condition when "balls will collide again". The fact that all balls can keep moving make this rather difficult.

It seems to me that "balls will collide again" when the speed of M is greater than the speed of the spring attached system (I could be wrong)? But that doesn't help much since the problem only tells me the collision is elastic.
1609866670027.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I would start. For the initial collision between the ##M## mass and the ##m## mass, assuming this collision is perfectly elastic and instantaneous, the impulse by the spring on the ##m## mass will be zero [since there is, initially, zero extension of the spring]. That means, for this first collision you can ignore the spring, and determine the speeds of the ##M## mass and the ##m## mass just after this initial collision as you would for a simple collision problem.

Then, if the speed of the ##m## mass just after this first collision is ##v## in the lab-frame, the centre of mass of the ##m## & ##2m## mass-spring system moves at ##v/3## in the lab-frame.

In the centre-of-mass frame of the ##m## & ##2m## mass-spring system, the two masses are performing independent oscillatory motion about their initial positions, with the centre of mass stationary. The velocity of the ##m## mass in the centre-of-mass frame of the ##m## & ##2m## mass-spring system right after the initial collision is ##2v/3## to the right.

etotheipi said:
find the most negative velocity of the m mass in the lab frame?
Isn't it the most negative displacement that's important?

Edit: strike the next part,,, it's more complicated than that. See post #5.

I think your first two paragraphs are enough, stopping at finding the velocity of the common mass centre.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
Isn't it the most negative displacement that's important?

Yeah sorry, you are right, what I said there is incorrect. I just wrote the trajectory in the centre-of-mass frame and transformed the trajectory back to the lab frame, and got an inequality from that.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much, @mattlfang :wink:. Let me get rid of the misleading statement.

I think the easiest is the obvious full-frontal approach: to write the equation of motion of mass m and find the closest approach to mass M. None of the usual shortcuts seem to work.

• Wow
Likes etotheipi and Delta2
This is a very nice problem, suitable for a physics Olympiad I could say. It seems very counter intuitive that the recollision event doesn't depend on the k of the spring.

Now that I think more carefully, when exactly they recollide must depend on k, but whether they will recollide might be independent of k.

haruspex said:
I think the easiest is the obvious full-frontal approach: to write the equation of motion of mass m and find the closest approach to mass M. None of the usual shortcuts seem to work.
What sort of shortcuts did you have in mind? Let me tell my own:
The "naive intuitive" approach:
Find the maximum ratio such that the M ball will continue moving to the right with a speed greater than the speed of the CoM of the system of two masses.
Why this approach won't work?

Delta2 said:
What sort of shortcuts did you have in mind? Let me tell my own:
The "naive intuitive" approach:
Find the maximum ratio such that the M ball will continue moving to the right with a speed greater than the speed of the CoM of the system of two masses.
Why this approach won't work?
That's the mistake I made at first.
The mass M might strike mass m during the latter's first relatively leftward movement even if the CoM of the two sprung masses moves faster than M. Bear in mind that m starts with the spring at equilibrium; later on it will have a greater length half the time.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
That's the mistake I made at first.
The mass M might strike mass m during the latter's first relatively leftward movement even if the CoM of the two sprung masses moves faster than M. Bear in mind that m starts with the spring at equilibrium; later on it will have a greater length half the time.
I see, well what about then to relax the condition, instead of ##V_M\geq V_{COM}## to have $$V_M\geq V_{COM}-\Delta V$$ where ##\Delta V## some velocity quantity that relates somehow to the oscillatory motion of the mass m, but I got no clue how to precisely define it. Maybe you can think more clearly than me.

Delta2 said:
I see, well what about then to relax the condition, instead of ##V_M\geq V_{COM}## to have $$V_M\geq V_{COM}-\Delta V$$ where ##\Delta V## some velocity quantity that relates somehow to the oscillatory motion of the mass m, but I got no clue how to precisely define it. Maybe you can think more clearly than me.
Timing is important too. Even if the CoM speed of the sprung masses only slightly exceeds that of M, the oscillation won't succeed in making contact if it comes too late.

haruspex said:
Timing is important too. Even if the CoM speed of the sprung masses only slightly exceeds that of M, the oscillation won't succeed in making contact if it comes too late.
Hmm, but timing depends surely on k, so you seem to imply that the answer depends on k, but the problem statement implies that the answer doesn't depend on k. There must be some clever shortcut we can't think of at the moment.

Let OX be a fixed horizontal axis. And let ##x_1,x_2,x_3## be the coordinates of the balls.
So that the position of the system is a point ##x=(x_1,x_2,x_3)\in \mathrm{R}^3##. This point belongs to a trihedron ##A=\{x_1≤x_2≤x_3\}##. The kinetic energy
T=12(Mx˙12+mx˙22+2mx˙32).
defines an inner product in R3.
The miracle is that the point x moves such that it collides and reflects from the boundary of A in accordance with the
"the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection" rule

actually I am tired to correct text everytime when it converts from tex into something what I did not ask to

I ended up with a condition that, in order for the ##m## and ##M## masses to never collide again, we require that$$(\forall t \in [0, \infty))\, \, \sin( \mathcal{w} t) > \frac{3wt}{2} \left( \frac{M-m}{2M} - \frac{1}{3}\right) = \frac{3 \mathcal{w} t}{2} \left[ \frac{1}{6} - \frac{\alpha}{2} \right]$$where ##\mathcal{w} = \sqrt{(3k/2)/m}## and ##\alpha = m/M##. Since the RHS is linear, this just requires that at ##t = (3/4)T = (3/4) \cdot (2\pi / w)##, the RHS is less than ##-1##, i.e.$$\frac{9 \pi}{4} \left[ \frac{1}{6} - \frac{\alpha}{2} \right]< -1$$which we can then solve for ##\alpha##, and then finally negate the statement to find the maximum ##\alpha## at which they do collide again.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
etotheipi said:
I ended up with a condition that, in order for the ##m## and ##M## masses to never collide again, we require that$$(\forall t \in [0, \infty))\, \, \sin( \mathcal{w} t) > \frac{3wt}{2} \left( \frac{M-m}{2M} - \frac{1}{3}\right) = \frac{3 \mathcal{w} t}{2} \left[ \frac{1}{6} - \frac{\alpha}{2} \right]$$where ##\mathcal{w} = \sqrt{(3k/2)/m}## and ##\alpha = m/M##. Since the RHS is linear, this just requires that at ##t = (3/4)T = (3/4) \cdot (2\pi / w)##, the RHS is less than ##-1##, i.e.$$\frac{9 \pi}{4} \left[ \frac{1}{6} - \frac{\alpha}{2} \right]< -1$$which we can then solve for ##\alpha##, and then finally negate the statement to find the maximum ##\alpha## at which they do collide again.
To find the necessary and sufficient condition on C s.t. ##\sin(\omega t)>Ct## for all positive t we need to find C s.t. y=Ct is tangent to ##y=\sin(\omega t)## in the range ##\pi<\omega t<\frac 32\pi##. I.e. solve ##\sin(\omega t)=Ct## and ##\omega\cos(\omega t)=C##.

Squaring and adding to eliminate the trig gives ##t^2=\frac 1{C^2}-\frac 1{\omega^2}##, which only has a solution if ##|C|<\omega##, but I'm not sure what to deduce from that.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
Ah, you're right, the above condition is not quite strong enough and only approximate. I think to do it exactly, we can look for the first time ##\mathscr{t}## at which the gradients of the two curves are equal, i.e.$$w \cos{w \mathscr{t}} = \frac{3w}{2} \left[ \frac{1}{6} - \frac{\alpha}{2} \right]$$and re-insert this into the previous step

Delta2 said:
Hmm, but timing depends surely on k, so you seem to imply that the answer depends on k, but the problem statement implies that the answer doesn't depend on k. There must be some clever shortcut we can't think of at the moment.
I think the question setter has underestimated the subtlety and difficulty of the problem.

I think you guys have outlined how to solve it. I have no new insights. When I work it through, I get an answer that doesn't depend on ##v_0## or ##k##. But the answer does depend on the root of a transcendental equation which arises from @etotheipi's "gradients of the two curves are equal". Here's what I get in case anyone wants to compare answers.

##\large \frac{m}{M} = \frac{1-4\cos\beta}{3}## where ##\beta## is the smallest positive root of ##\beta = \tan \beta##.

##\beta\approx 4.4934## rad, so ##\large \frac{m}{M}## ##\approx 0.623##

Likes haruspex, Delta2 and etotheipi
TSny said:
I think you guys have outlined how to solve it. I have no new insights. When I work it through, I get an answer that doesn't depend on ##v_0## or ##k##. But the answer does depend on the root of a transcendental equation which arises from @etotheipi's "gradients of the two curves are equal". Here's what I get in case anyone wants to compare answers.

##\large \frac{m}{M} = \frac{1-4\cos\beta}{3}## where ##\beta## is the smallest positive root of ##\beta = \tan \beta##.

##\beta\approx 4.4934## rad, so ##\large \frac{m}{M}## ##\approx 0.623##
Now I'm kicking myself because when I first replied to post #11 I wrote that dimensional analysis shows it must be independent of k. Later, it seemed to me that varying k altered the phase of the oscillation in which the recontact would occur, so I mistrusted my analysis.
But I'm still unsure whether the question setter appreciated the subtlety of the question.

haruspex said:
But I'm still unsure whether the question setter appreciated the subtlety of the question.
I agree.

haruspex said:
We don't know from where this problem is, might be from a physics olympiad and not from a puny textbook...

1. How does the spring affect the motion of the two-ball system?

The spring acts as a connecting force between the two balls, causing them to move together as a single unit. As one ball is pushed or pulled, the spring will compress or stretch, exerting a force on the other ball in the opposite direction.

2. What factors can affect the outcome of the collision between the two balls?

The outcome of the collision can be affected by the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the two balls, as well as the stiffness of the spring. The angle of impact and the initial position of the balls can also play a role.

3. How does the conservation of energy apply to this system?

The total energy of the system remains constant throughout the collision. Some of the kinetic energy of the moving ball is transferred to the spring as potential energy, and then back to the other ball as kinetic energy. This exchange of energy allows the system to continue oscillating until friction or other external forces slow it down.

4. Can the two-ball system ever reach a state of equilibrium?

Yes, the system can reach a state of equilibrium where the balls are at rest and the spring is neither stretched nor compressed. This occurs when the force exerted by the spring is equal and opposite to the force exerted by gravity on the balls.

5. How can mathematical equations be used to model and predict the motion of the two-ball system?

By using equations such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law for springs, we can create a mathematical model of the two-ball system. This model can be used to predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of the balls at any given time during the collision, allowing us to better understand and analyze the system.