Poisson noise on ##a_{\ell m}## complex number: real or complex?

fab13
TL;DR Summary
I try to get clarifications about the Poisson's noise with spherical harmonics of Legendre transformation
1) In a cosmology context, when I add a centered Poisson noise on ##a_{\ell m}## and I take the definition of a ##C_{\ell}## this way :

##C_{\ell}=\dfrac{1}{2\ell+1} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{+\ell} \left(a_{\ell m}+\bar{a}_{\ell m}^{p}\right)\left(a_{\ell m}+\bar{a}_{\ell m}^{p}\right)^* ##

Is Poisson noise a complex number or is it simply a real number ? knowing that variance of Poisson is equal in my case :

##\text{Var}(\bar{a}_{\ell m}^{p}) = \dfrac{1}{n_{gal}\,f_{sky}}## where ##n_{gal}## the density of galaxies and ##f_{sky}## the fraction of sky observed.

I work with fluctuations of matter density (not temperature fluctuations).

2) What is the variance of real part and imaginary part of an ##a_{\ell m}## : usually, one says that :

##\text{Var}(a_{\ell m}) = C_{\ell}## but given the fact that ##a_{\ell m}## is a complex number, we could say that :

##\text{Var}(\text{Re}(a_{\ell m}))## has a variance equal to ##\dfrac{C_\ell}{2}##

and

##\text{Var}(\text{Im}(a_{\ell m}))## has a variance equal to ##\dfrac{C_\ell}{2}##

since :

##\begin{aligned}
& \left|a_{\ell m}\right|^2=\operatorname{Re}\left(a_{\ell m}\right)^2+\operatorname{Im}\left(a_{\ell m}\right)^2 \\
& E\left[\left|a_{\ell m}\right|^2\right]=E\left[\operatorname{Re}\left(a_{\ell m}\right)^2\right]+E\left[\operatorname{Im}\left(a_{\ell m}\right)^2\right]=C_{\ell}
\end{aligned}##

Is it correct ?

Any clarification is welcome.

1. What is Poisson noise on ##a_{\ell m}## complex number?

Poisson noise on ##a_{\ell m}## complex number refers to the random fluctuations in the measured value of the complex number due to the inherent randomness in the measurement process. It is named after the French mathematician Siméon Denis Poisson, who first studied this type of noise.

2. How does Poisson noise affect the real and complex components of ##a_{\ell m}##?

Poisson noise can affect both the real and complex components of ##a_{\ell m}##, causing random fluctuations in their values. This noise is typically characterized by a Gaussian distribution and can lead to errors in the measurement of the real and complex components.

3. Can Poisson noise be removed from ##a_{\ell m}## complex number?

It is not possible to completely remove Poisson noise from ##a_{\ell m}## complex number as it is inherent to the measurement process. However, it is possible to minimize its effects by using statistical techniques and increasing the number of measurements.

4. What are the implications of Poisson noise on the accuracy of ##a_{\ell m}## complex number?

Poisson noise can significantly affect the accuracy of ##a_{\ell m}## complex number, especially for low signal-to-noise ratios. It can lead to errors in the measured values and can impact the interpretation of the data. Therefore, it is essential to consider and account for Poisson noise in scientific measurements.

5. How can scientists account for Poisson noise when analyzing ##a_{\ell m}## complex number?

Scientists can account for Poisson noise in several ways, such as using statistical techniques like error propagation and signal averaging, increasing the number of measurements, and using appropriate calibration methods. It is also important to understand the characteristics of Poisson noise and its impact on the data to make accurate interpretations.