Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binned threads: Scepticism forum

1. May 11, 2006 #1

J77

I wouldn't normally ask about deleted threads but PF has no bin...

I couldn't find anything in the rules about why my thread on the English guy who said he hacked his way into the US military and found info on UFOs got deleted.

I understand that the story was a bit 'out there' but the source was credible, ie. the bbc: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4757375.stm

And I did put it in the Scepticism forum.

Did it break any forum rules? (Generally interested for future reference.)

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The relevant sections from the S&D guidelines are:
    and
    Just because it's a conspiracy theory proposed by a hacker who has gotten mainstream publicity doesn't make his claim credible, and even if he's being truthful of what he thinks he saw, it certainly isn't verifiable or subject to debunking.

If that's not sufficient explanation, you'll need to contact Ivan via PM for any more clarification about specifics of your post.

4. May 11, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks MB, that sounds good to me. :biggrin:

Hi J77,
    there was also another thread about this below your post, which I had already closed. What happens is that people don't see the closed threads, and pretty soon we have two, three, or even four closed threads on the same story if I don't just delete them.

Anytime something like this happens, you or anyone else should feel free to send a pm asking why your thread was deleted. But as a rule, unless you get a warning, you are safe to assume that either the content was innappropriate for the forum, or someone has already started a parallel thread and you just missed it.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  5. May 11, 2006 #4

J77

Cool :smile:

Thanks for the replies - I didn't see the closed thread when I posted mine, even though I searched the boards for "hacker".

:cool:

6. May 15, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, what I'll do is issue a zero point warning containing a short statement of the problem. This should help to prevent confusion. A warning of zero points carries no penalty.

We'll also be adding a posting agreement to ensure that everyone sees and understands the posting guidelines.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?