Binomial Distribution: Solving for P(X=2, N=4), P(X=1), and P(N=4|X=1)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cse63146
Messages
435
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose that the conditional distribution of X given that N = n is binomial (n, 1/2) and the distribution of N is uniform over {2,4,6}

a) Determine P(X=2, N = 4)
b) Determine P(X=1)
c) Determine P(N = 4| X =1)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



the way I understood the question was that X|N~bin(n, 1/2)

for a) I did (4C2)(0.5)2(0.5)2 = 0.375

I'm stuck for b). Any hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cse63146 said:

Homework Statement



Suppose that the conditional distribution of X given that N = n is binomial (n, 1/2) and the distribution of N is uniform over {2,4,6}

a) Determine P(X=2, N = 4)
b) Determine P(X=1)
c) Determine P(N = 4| X =1)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



the way I understood the question was that X|N~bin(n, 1/2)

for a) I did (4C2)(0.5)2(0.5)2 = 0.375
Yes, that is correct.

I'm stuck for b). Any hints?
Since N is uniform on 2, 4, 6, find P(X|N=2), P(X|N= 4), and P(X|N= 6). P(N= 2)= P(N= 4)= P(N= 6)= 1/3.