Binomial series expansion of 1/sqrt(1-b²sin²x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Oxymoron
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
I have been doing some questions on Binomial Series expansion and have been stuck on this particular question for a long time and desperately need some guidance.

Q) Expand (1/(sqrt(1-b^2(sin^2)x)))), where b = sin(1/2(theta)) as a binomial series.

Here is what I have done so far...

Let x = (b^2(sin^2)x) because I want the expression in binomial form.

So it becomes 1/sqrt(1 - x) with k = -1/2

(1-x)^-1/2 can be written in binomial form... (S is capital sigma)

= S(-1/2 n)(-x)^n
= 1 + (-1/2)(-x) + ((-1/2)(-3/2)/2!)*(-x)^2 + ...
= 1 + 1/2x - 3/8x^2 + ...
= 1 + 1/2k^2sin^2x - 3/8k^4sin^4x + ...

Any help on this question would be excellent!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of help do you want? Do you have any reason to believe that what you have is not correct?
 
Sorry about that. What I meant was that if my working was incorrect could someone correct me or offer a simpler way to do it (if any).

Thanks.