Prove binomial series converges for |x|<1

In summary, the binomial series converges for |x|<1 because the general term of the series approaches 0 as n->∞, and this is true for all values of x except for x=1 and x=-1, where the series diverges. However, for p <-1 (and non-natural number), the main coefficient diverges, and therefore the series diverges at the endpoints as well. This is due to the fact that the definition of the binomial coefficient only works for n≤p, as for n>p the denominator would contain the factorial of a negative number which is undefined. Therefore, the statement "the binomial series converges for |x|<1" is more accurate than
Aziza

Homework Statement

How do you prove that the binomial series (x+1)^p converges for |x|<1 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(x+1)^p = Ʃ[itex]x^{n}\frac{p!}{(p-n)!n!}[/itex]
After doing ratio test I get |x|<1 . But now I have to test end points and this is my problem:

when x=1,
an = [itex]\frac{p!}{(p-n)!n!}[/itex]

when x=-1,
an = (-1)^n[itex]\frac{p!}{(p-n)!n!}[/itex]

Since the interval of convergence does not include these endpoints, I know these two series must diverge, but how to prove this? Is it because as n->∞, (p-n)! eventually becomes undefined, and so the limit of an as n->∞ is undefined, but in order for the series to converge, an must approach 0 as n->∞ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
But, your problem statement does not involve the endpoints you had mentioned (I'm assuming you consider [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]).

Dickfore said:
But, your problem statement does not involve the endpoints you had mentioned (I'm assuming you consider [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]).

Well I used the ratio test, which is inconclusive when the limit as n->∞ of |[itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/itex]|=1.
ie, in this case, when |x|=1
So...I think you have to test the endpoints. Otherwise you cannot be certain that the interval of convergence contains them or not..

What is the actual statement of your problem?

Dickfore said:
What is the actual statement of your problem?

"Use the ratio test to show that a binomial series converges for |x| < 1."

So, you did that.

Dickfore said:
So, you did that.

no...this isn't the full proof...if I don't test the endpoints, it might be the case that the binomial series converges for |x|≤1 or -1<x≤1 or -1≤x<1, not for |x|<1

If it converges for [itex]\vert x \vert \le 1[/itex], then it definitely converges for [itex]\vert x \vert < 1[/itex]. The converse is not true, however. Luckily, you are not required to prove the more stringent statement "the binomial series converges for [itex]\vert x \vert \le 1[/itex]", so there is no need to test the endpoints.

Dickfore said:
If it converges for [itex]\vert x \vert \le 1[/itex], then it definitely converges for [itex]\vert x \vert < 1[/itex]. The converse is not true, however. Luckily, you are not required to prove the more stringent statement "the binomial series converges for [itex]\vert x \vert \le 1[/itex]", so there is no need to test the endpoints.

ok yea I guess that is true...but...I still want to test the endpoints ! :)
so, how to do that in this case? how to prove that for x=1 and x=-1, the series diverge?

Definitely not by using the ratio test.

Dickfore said:
Definitely not by using the ratio test.

yea i know that...
as i first wrote, i tried to prove that they diverge because their limit is undefined as n->∞. But, the limit of the general term of a series must tend to 0 as n->∞ in order for their to be a possibility of it converging. Thus, since the limit is undefined in this case, then it is not 0, and so the series must diverge. Is that the correct way of proving it?

Aziza said:
yea i know that...
as i first wrote, i tried to prove that they diverge because their limit is undefined as n->∞. But, the limit of the general term of a series must tend to 0 as n->∞ in order for their to be a possibility of it converging. Thus, since the limit is undefined in this case, then it is not 0, and so the series must diverge. Is that the correct way of proving it?

No, since [itex]a_{n} \rightarrow 0, \ n \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

Dickfore said:
No, since [itex]a_{n} \rightarrow 0, \ n \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

huh?

A more general definition of the binomial coefficient (valid for non-integer p) is:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{c}
p
\\
n
\end{array} \right) \equiv \frac{p (p - 1) \ldots (p - n + 1)}{n!}, \ n > 0,
[/tex]

So, you don't need to worry about the case [itex]n - p < 0[/itex] too much. If [itex]p \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], then, starting with [itex]n_0 = p + 1[/itex], the numerator of this fraction is always zero, so the series is a polynomial and is definitely convergent for any value of x. Suppose [itex]p \notin \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Then, [itex]\Gamma(-p)[/itex] exists, and we may write:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{c}
p
\\
n
\end{array} \right) = \frac{(-1)^n \, (n - p - 1) \ldots (-p + 1) (-p)}{n!} = \frac{(-1)^n \, \Gamma(n - p)}{\Gamma(-p) \, \Gamma(n + 1)}
[/tex]
But, for large λ the Euler gamma function has the asymptotic form (Stirling's formula):
[tex]
\Gamma(\lambda + 1) \sim \sqrt{2 \pi \lambda} \, \left( \frac{\lambda}{e} \right)^{\lambda}, \ \lambda \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a_n \sim \frac{(-1)^n}{\Gamma(-p)} \, \frac{(n - p - 1)^{n - p - \frac{1}{2}}}{n^{n + \frac{1}{2}}} \, e^{-n + p + 1 + n} \sim \frac{(-1)^n}{\Gamma(-p)} \, \left( \frac{e}{n} \right)^{p + 1} \rightarrow 0, \ n \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]
for [itex]p > -1[/itex].
For [itex]p = -1[/itex], the binomial coefficient is:
[tex]
a_n = (-1)^n
[/tex]
and the series diverges on both ends.

For [itex]p <-1[/itex] (and non-natural number), the main coefficient diverges, and, therefore the series should diverge by the necessary condition for convergence.

You still haven't proven that the series converges or diverges at the endpoints for [itex]p < -1[/itex].

ok now that i have looked at this more closely, i think that Ʃan converges at x=1 and x=-1...

an = [itex](\stackrel{p}{n})[/itex][itex]x^{n}[/itex] = [itex](\stackrel{p}{n})[/itex] when x=1

[itex](\stackrel{p}{n}) = \frac{p(p-1)(p-2)...(p-n+1)}{n!}[/itex]

but as n->∞, the numerator will eventually become 0 because n will become greater than p...in other words, [itex]\left(\stackrel{p}{p+1}\right)[/itex] = 0 for all p

the argument is same for x=-1

So i think what I was doing wrong was defining [itex](\stackrel{p}{n})[/itex] to be [itex]\frac{p!}{(p-n)!n!}[/itex] , but that only works for n≤p, because when n>p, the denominator will contain the factorial of a negative number, which is not defined from what i understand...

so what confuses me now is why my book gives as a definition that the binomial series converges for |x|<1 and not for |x|≤1...unless my argument is wrong somehow?

Dickfore said:
A more general definition of the binomial coefficient (valid for non-integer p) is:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{c}
p
\\
n
\end{array} \right) \equiv \frac{p (p - 1) \ldots (p - n + 1)}{n!}, \ n > 0,
[/tex]

So, you don't need to worry about the case [itex]n - p < 0[/itex] too much. If [itex]p \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], then, starting with [itex]n_0 = p + 1[/itex], the numerator of this fraction is always zero, so the series is a polynomial and is definitely convergent for any value of x. Suppose [itex]p \notin \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Then, [itex]\Gamma(-p)[/itex] exists, and we may write:
[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{c}
p
\\
n
\end{array} \right) = \frac{(-1)^n \, (n - p - 1) \ldots (-p + 1) (-p)}{n!} = \frac{(-1)^n \, \Gamma(n - p)}{\Gamma(-p) \, \Gamma(n + 1)}
[/tex]
But, for large λ the Euler gamma function has the asymptotic form (Stirling's formula):
[tex]
\Gamma(\lambda + 1) \sim \sqrt{2 \pi \lambda} \, \left( \frac{\lambda}{e} \right)^{\lambda}, \ \lambda \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a_n \sim \frac{(-1)^n}{\Gamma(-p)} \, \frac{(n - p - 1)^{n - p - \frac{1}{2}}}{n^{n + \frac{1}{2}}} \, e^{-n + p + 1 + n} \sim \frac{(-1)^n}{\Gamma(-p)} \, \left( \frac{e}{n} \right)^{p + 1} \rightarrow 0, \ n \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]
for [itex]p > -1[/itex].
For [itex]p = -1[/itex], the binomial coefficient is:
[tex]
a_n = (-1)^n
[/tex]
and the series diverges on both ends.

For [itex]p <-1[/itex] (and non-natural number), the main coefficient diverges, and, therefore the series should diverge by the necessary condition for convergence.

You still haven't proven that the series converges or diverges at the endpoints for [itex]p < -1[/itex].

ohhh ok i will try to digest this now...ignore my last post then bc i posted not knowing you already did...

ohhhh ok i see! so basically, the series converges at x=1 and x=-1 but only when p is in the natural numbers, but the point is to make it converge for all p...thank you!

What is a binomial series and how does it relate to convergence?

A binomial series is a mathematical expression that represents a polynomial function in terms of a variable raised to different powers. It can be used to approximate the values of a function for certain values of the variable. In order for a binomial series to converge, the variable must be within a certain range of values, typically |x|<1.

How is the convergence of a binomial series determined?

The convergence of a binomial series can be determined by using the ratio test, which compares the magnitude of successive terms in the series. If the limit of this ratio is less than 1, the series is said to converge.

Why is it important to prove the convergence of a binomial series for |x|<1?

Proving the convergence of a binomial series for |x|<1 is important because it ensures that the series will accurately approximate the values of the function within this range. If the series does not converge, the approximation will become increasingly inaccurate and unreliable as the values of x get further from 0.

What are some common applications of binomial series convergence?

Binomial series convergence is often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to approximate values of functions, such as in the calculation of probabilities and in the development of numerical methods for solving equations.

Are there any other conditions for the convergence of a binomial series besides |x|<1?

Yes, there are other conditions for convergence, such as the absolute convergence criterion and the root test. These conditions are used to determine convergence for more complex series that may not follow the traditional pattern of a binomial series. In some cases, the series may converge for values of x outside of the range of |x|<1, but these conditions must be met for the series to be considered convergent.