1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial vs Geometric form for Taylor Series

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but say you have 1/(1-x)

This is the form of the geometric series, and is simply, sum of, from n = 0 to infiniti, X^n. I am also trying to think in terms of Binomial Series (i.e. 1 + px + p(p-1)x/2!...p(p-1)(p-2)(p-(n-1) / n!).

1/(1-x) is also equivalent to (1 - (-x) ) ^ -1 --> Here we can substitute p = -1, and x = -x into the original binomial series, and I believe it should also still work out to X^n.

My question is when I should use one over the other. It took me a little bit to even get this connection, so I just want to make sure I'll be Ok when I see it on the test. 1/(1-x) is exactly in the geometric (sum) form, so I can see that, but once the functions start to change, I want to make sure I'm Ok.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What does "work out to X^n" mean?

Perhaps your question is whether the substitutions you suggested will make the binomial series sum to [itex] \frac{1}{1+x} [/itex]

There is such a thing as a "negative binomial series" http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NegativeBinomialSeries.html Is that infinite series what you mean by "binomial series"? Or does your notation indicate a binomial series with only a finite number of terms?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted