Binomial vs Geometric form for Taylor Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between 1/(1-x) and the geometric series, as well as the use of binomial series with substitutions. The question is whether the suggested substitutions will make the binomial series sum to 1/(1+x) and if this is the same as a negative binomial series.
leo255

Homework Statement

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but say you have 1/(1-x)

This is the form of the geometric series, and is simply, sum of, from n = 0 to infiniti, X^n. I am also trying to think in terms of Binomial Series (i.e. 1 + px + p(p-1)x/2!...p(p-1)(p-2)(p-(n-1) / n!).

1/(1-x) is also equivalent to (1 - (-x) ) ^ -1 --> Here we can substitute p = -1, and x = -x into the original binomial series, and I believe it should also still work out to X^n.

My question is when I should use one over the other. It took me a little bit to even get this connection, so I just want to make sure I'll be Ok when I see it on the test. 1/(1-x) is exactly in the geometric (sum) form, so I can see that, but once the functions start to change, I want to make sure I'm Ok.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leo255 said:
Here we can substitute p = -1, and x = -x into the original binomial series, and I believe it should also still work out to X^n.

What does "work out to X^n" mean?

Perhaps your question is whether the substitutions you suggested will make the binomial series sum to [itex] \frac{1}{1+x} [/itex]

There is such a thing as a "negative binomial series" http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NegativeBinomialSeries.html Is that infinite series what you mean by "binomial series"? Or does your notation indicate a binomial series with only a finite number of terms?

What is the difference between binomial and geometric form for Taylor Series?

The main difference between binomial and geometric form for Taylor Series lies in the types of terms that are included in the series. Binomial form includes terms with factorial coefficients, while geometric form includes terms with powers of a constant ratio.

Which form is more commonly used in mathematics?

Binomial form is more commonly used in mathematics because it allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the series, particularly when using numerical methods.

Can both forms be used to approximate functions?

Yes, both binomial and geometric forms can be used to approximate functions. However, the choice of which form to use may depend on the specific function and the desired level of accuracy.

What are the advantages of using binomial form for Taylor Series?

The advantages of using binomial form for Taylor Series include its simplicity and ease of use, particularly for functions with simpler factorial coefficients. It also allows for easier calculation and manipulation of the series.

In what situations would geometric form be more useful than binomial form for Taylor Series?

Geometric form may be more useful for functions with complex factorial coefficients, as it allows for a more concise representation of the series. Additionally, it may be more useful when using theoretical methods to analyze the convergence of the series.