Biochemistry at UBC or Waterloo?

In summary: UBC's co-op programs, but I do know that both schools have strong co-op programs, with Waterloo being known for its mandatory co-op program. UBC's co-op program may be competitive to get into, but it can definitely provide valuable work experience for students. It is also possible to switch from Science faculty to engineering faculty at both schools, but it may require meeting certain requirements and may not be easy. As for getting into medical schools from engineering, it may be more challenging but not impossible. In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between choosing UBC or University of Waterloo for undergraduate studies in a science-related field, taking into consideration the co-op programs and potential future plans. The speaker also mentions concerns about the
yvonnars
I got offer from both science faculty at UBC and University of Waterloo for undergraduate studies. The program i applied for at waterloo is called "Science and Business" and it's co-op mandatory which I really like because many people told me that working experience is more important than academic studies. How is UBC's co-op programs? Is it hard to get in?

I am planning on going into biochemistry or related field, and after that I want to maybe take a year or two off working, then go back for further education and maybe become a doctor. But this is not 100% sure yet and I might change my mind later on. I'm just wondering which school is better? I have heard that it's really hard to find a decent job with a bachelor degree in science. So will a strong co-op program help me?
And is it easy to switch to engineering faculty from Science faculty for both schools? Is it hard to get into medical schools or such from engineering?

Something else is that I am Asian but I don't like hanging out with Asians only and it is really hard when there are so many Asians. Also I live in White Rock which is about an hour drive to downtown Vancouver. I really love big cities. I really hope someone can help me with my problems!

Physics news on Phys.org
yvonnars said:
I got offer from both science faculty at UBC and University of Waterloo for undergraduate studies. The program i applied for at waterloo is called "Science and Business" and it's co-op mandatory which I really like because many people told me that working experience is more important than academic studies. How is UBC's co-op programs? Is it hard to get in?

I am planning on going into biochemistry or related field, and after that I want to maybe take a year or two off working, then go back for further education and maybe become a doctor. But this is not 100% sure yet and I might change my mind later on. I'm just wondering which school is better? I have heard that it's really hard to find a decent job with a bachelor degree in science. So will a strong co-op program help me?
And is it easy to switch to engineering faculty from Science faculty for both schools? Is it hard to get into medical schools or such from engineering?

Something else is that I am Asian but I don't like hanging out with Asians only and it is really hard when there are so many Asians. Also I live in White Rock which is about an hour drive to downtown Vancouver. I really love big cities. I really hope someone can help me with my problems!

I will tell you right now and this is coming from someone who knows about UBC.

If you plan to go to UBC Vancouver in Science, expect ALOT ALOT of Asians. I am not even kidding you.

I do not know anything about Waterloo

1. What is the difference between the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo?

The main difference between the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo is the curriculum structure. UBC's program is more research-focused and allows students to specialize in a specific area of biochemistry, while Waterloo's program has a more balanced approach with a greater emphasis on coursework. Additionally, UBC offers a co-op option for students to gain practical experience in the field, while Waterloo has a co-op option for students to gain experience in a variety of industries.

2. What research opportunities are available for undergraduate students in the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo?

Both UBC and Waterloo offer a variety of research opportunities for undergraduate students in the Biochemistry programs. UBC has a strong emphasis on research with opportunities to work in cutting-edge labs and participate in independent research projects. Waterloo also offers research opportunities through its co-op program, where students can work in research labs or industry settings related to biochemistry.

3. Are there any prerequisites for the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo?

Yes, both UBC and Waterloo have specific prerequisites for their Biochemistry programs. UBC requires students to have completed high school courses in chemistry, biology, physics, and calculus, while Waterloo requires high school courses in chemistry, biology, and mathematics. It is also recommended for students to have a strong background in chemistry and biology to succeed in these programs.

4. Can students transfer between the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo?

Yes, it is possible for students to transfer between the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo. However, this process may vary depending on the specific requirements and policies of each university. It is recommended for students to consult with academic advisors at both universities to determine the best course of action for their individual situation.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo?

Graduates of the Biochemistry programs at UBC and Waterloo have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare, and research. Some common job titles for graduates include biochemist, research scientist, pharmaceutical sales representative, and quality control analyst. Additionally, graduates may also choose to pursue further education in graduate or professional programs such as medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy.