Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biochemistry of Relaxing effect of Chamomile?

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, just curious: I have been using chamomile pretty successfully as a relaxant and sleep aid, by using compresses, so that the chamomile goes directly into the bloodstream. But, what kind of biochemistry underlies a relaxing effect, i.e., what kind of biochemical effect can a substance have to induce relaxation?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2
    I suggest you check out PubMed and/or PubMed Central and look for some reviews or relevant papers. The latter link will provide papers and reviews which are available to the public free of charge while the former will show papers which may or may not be behind pay walls. If you have access to journals through a library or university go with PubMed, otherwise use PMC if you want to read the full papers.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Couple minutes in Wiki brings up a list of a couple dozen identified compounds in chamomile extracts with no claims that "global" assays have been done. i.e., it probably hasn't been studied in all that much detail to even make a guess.

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, but I am interested mostly in the bio-chemical aspects/parallels of relaxation, not only knowing the active ingredients in relaxation.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here you go.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/

I think chamomile has had every imaginable benefit attributed to it at one time or another. It does nothing for me. Back in the 70's it was promoted as a hair bleaching compound. I guess some people are more sensitive than others and the power of belief can enhance any effects. If it works for you, don't worry about it.

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Evo, all, have you tried using it as compresses for relaxation so that it goes directly to the bloodstream? Put some bags in room-temperature water, let the tea seep, then put the tea in towels and put your feet and back on these towels. It has worked amazingly well for me.

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I like chamomile tea for the taste, it's relaxing as a tea. Your routine sounds very relaxing, if only I could get my dogs to do this for me! :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook