Bioenergy: how to measure the efficiency of different materials

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Conisewer
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello all! I chose not to follow the given format, as my question is kind of unique. I hate to be one of those people who just create an account for one thread (as I usually try to avoid this), but my situation is quite urgent.

I have a project due Friday, in which I plan to take different materials from where I live and measure there efficiency as biofuels. (different woods, plants, etc.).

So, my questions are:

1. What is a simple method in which I could measure the energy of different materials that I (basically) am going to find in my back yard (it doesn't necessarily have to be "scientific". If the only method of accomplishing this without a lab is to set it on fire and describe the flames, please do say so).

2. If I can scientifically measure this, what units would I use?

Thank you all in advanced. I'm really hesitant on whether I am actually going to do any of this, as the teacher most definitely wouldn't be trying something like this herself. I know this may sound dishonest of me, but I could rant for hours about some of the assignments she has assigned us : )

Nick
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for a heat of combustion (check units in wikipedia), it requires a bomb calorimeter to be done properly.
 
A rough way to do this measurement would be to burn the materials underneath a can of water and measure the temperature change of the water after burning. This could probably be done in a way that the results would reflect the relative energy density (e.g. energy per unit mass) of the different materials.
 
Ygggdrasil said:
A rough way to do this measurement would be to burn the materials underneath a can of water and measure the temperature change of the water after burning. This could probably be done in a way that the results would reflect the relative energy density (e.g. energy per unit mass) of the different materials.

That sounds like a possibility. Thanks!